Specific learning difficulties (Including dyslexia)

Disclosure for applicants

If you have not yet applied, please disclose your specific learning difficulties (including dyslexia) when you apply for a place. If you have already applied but not disclosed, you can do so by sending your medical evidence to us at disability@uwe.ac.uk and we will get back in touch with you.

Reasonable adjustments

We are committed to making reasonable adjustment to help reduce the effect of an impairment or medical condition that places you at a substantial disadvantage in your learning, teaching or assessment situation. For example, adjustments to assessments such as extra time, use of a computer or alternative assessment.

Find out how to request adjustments

Support from the Dyslexia/SpLD Service

The Dyslexia/SpLD Service provides information, support and advice to over 1,500 UWE Bristol students who have dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties. Specific learning difficulties affect around 8% of the student population and include dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia and ADHD/ADD.

Watch this video for more information about Specific Learning Difficulties (UWE Bristol login required).


Depending on your eligibility, funding can cover such things as specialist one-to-one tuition and assistive technology to help you with your studies.

We strongly recommend you apply for Disabled Student Allowances (DSAs) as soon as possible and at least three months before you start your course, if you are eligible. If you are not eligible for DSAs please contact Disability Service.


If you are unsure whether you have a specific learning difficulty, please see our information on recognising Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) for information about common signs.

Find out about required evidence to apply for DSAs funding.

Study support

The support and equipment you will receive at the University is normally decided through your Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) Study Needs Assessment. Depending on your support needs, the following may be applicable to you:

  • one-to-one specialist tuition (non-subject specific) to help with structuring and organising written work as well as other study skills
  • provision of assistive technology (equipment and software)
  • books, printing and photocopying allowances
  • you should also look at the range of university study skills support as well as Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) sessions.

More support for impairments

Get more information and advice on support for any impairments.

More support for impairments