At UWE Bristol one of our goals is to ensure that our students have the best experience possible. Listening and responding to the student voice is vital and we take student engagement very seriously. We gather student feedback in a number of ways and we view students as active participants in their learning, engaging them to work with us in developing their experience.
If you are a current student who is particularly interested in improving the student experience, you have the opportunity to become a Student Representative or a Student Experience Consultant.
What happens with the feedback we collect?
We encourage and collect feedback from you using a variety of methods. Some of these methods include providing feedback though your Student Reps, directly to your programme and module teams, as well as through national and university lead surveys.
Data from national surveys is supplemented with the information we receive through Student Reps, as well as local level feedback such as the Programme Survey. The University then uses this information to address the points you raise.
Student Reps play a vital role in representing students' academic interests. The Student Rep system is run in partnership between UWE Bristol and The Students’ Union at UWE. Each year there are around 1,000 Student Reps elected from every level of every programme to champion the student voice.
If you would like to know more about becoming a Student Rep, how to get in touch with the rep for your course, or get more involved giving feedback on a number of different areas, please contact email@example.com.
Student Consultation Panel
The Student Consultation Panel is formed in partnership with the Students' Union. It’s made up of students across the University who have volunteered to have a say on what we are doing and to provide feedback to shape future decisions. A variety of opportunities to provide feedback are available, from surveys, focus groups to workshops and user testing.
Students will receive rewards for every opportunity they engage with either online vouchers, food or points towards bigger prizes. They will also get recognition on their Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR) and be part of a community looking to improve the student experience.
The Student Consultation Panel has played an important part in supporting changes to areas such as assessment, library, wellbeing services, communications and induction.
Course and module feedback
Providing feedback on your academic experience is important to ensure that the University can continually make improvements to the student experience and provisions.
- Course Survey – This survey is your opportunity to give your views on the course you are studying. The survey is anonymous. Programme teams will share any actions they will take to enrich your course experience based on the feedback received. You are also encouraged to give ongoing feedback throughout the year to your Programme Leader and Student Representatives.
- Module Feedback – Your module teams will also provide you with opportunities to feedback on modules. This can vary across modules and may take the form of short surveys, focus groups, drop-ins or more informal in-class sessions.
Your feedback helps shape your university. You will have the opportunity to feedback on your student experience via national and university led student surveys, providing us with vital information needed to keep improving your courses and services.
These could include (but not limited to):
- National Student Survey (NSS) – Final year undergraduates
- Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) – postgraduate taught students
- Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES) – postgraduate research students, every other year
- UWE Programme Survey – undergraduate students in their foundation, first or second year.
Help and advice
- Student Consultation Panel – want to know more about how to get involved as a student or a member of staff wanting to obtain student feedback, please email StudentVoice@uwe.ac.uk.
- Student Reps – you can find out who the Student Rep is for your programme in MYUWE or Blackboard. For more information email Student Reps at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Surveys – If you are having problems accessing a survey relevant to you or have other questions about the surveys and how they are run, please email the Student Partnership team at StudentPartnership@uwe.ac.uk.
- Complaints – You should be able to resolve any issues you have about your experience by the feedback mechanisms listed above. If you have exhausted these avenues and are still dissatisfied with a UWE Bristol provision or service you can make a complaint.