Green Fortnight: 14 days of sustainability and climate action for 2022
Our annual festival of eco ideas, events and smart living took place from Monday 31 October to Sunday 13 November 2022.
For two weeks in November we focused on what UWE Bristol and The Student Union are doing to tackle climate change and protect nature.
Our aim was to show the progress taking place at the University and the many ways students and staff can get involved.
With over 60 events from in-depth seminars to art workshops, our in-person and online events were a great opportunity for all to explore ideas, meet different people, and to do something new.
Details below of some of the activities that took place during Green Fortnight.
Green Fortnight events
Seminars on a range of topics
- impact of the climate crisis on our transport networks
- micro plastics in our rivers and seas
- measuring biodiversity changes and soil health in rewilding sites
- passivhaus and saving energy in our new student accommodation
- BBC on actions and programming for sustainability
- Avon Pension Fund and the environment.
- vegetarian/vegan challenge – weekend pizza cook along
- carbon foot printing of menus in Onezone
- Sunday fairtrade tea café
- new plant-based food café The Wild Kitchen in S Block.
- mending and up-cycling clothing
- swap shops
- charity shop trawls
- alternative fashion worlds workshop.
- United Nations Climate change conference COP 27
- Climate Justice
- Fossil free careers.
- sustainable gardening sessions
- beeline and foraging walks
- sustainability tours and nature rambles
- litter picking in support of Nature and the community.
Green Fortnight 2023
Next year’s Green Fortnight will take place from 30 October to 12 November 2023. If you want to be involved or have any ideas of what you would like to see please get in touch.Contact the Sustainability team
You may also be interested in
Sustainability at UWE Bristol
Sustainability is embedded in our culture, research and teaching. We have already invested heavily in campus improvements and new technology, with plans underway to be carbon neutral by 2030.
Get involved in sustainability
Help us make a truly sustainable university a reality. Information for staff and students to get involved in positive ways, plus handy tips for greener living.
Reduce, reuse and recycle at UWE Bristol
Find out about UWE Bristol's commitment to the circular economy, our initiatives to reduce, reuse and recycle, and what to do with your recycling on campus.
Carbon, energy and water management
Learn about our impressive carbon, energy and water management plans, plus our current and completed projects, including the largest single solar installation in the UK HE sector.