UWE Bristol has declared a climate and ecological emergency. Through our 2030 Strategy we will work to address the urgency of the challenges we now face.
Sustainability is embedded in our services, culture, research and teaching. We have invested heavily in campus improvements and new technology, with plans already underway to be carbon neutral by 2030.
"Climate change presents a significant challenge to each and every one of us, one we must not and cannot ignore. So let's make sure that we build on the progress we have made, as a University community and as individuals, as we press forward with our ambitious commitments in a world that has been deeply affected by the global pandemic."
Steve West Vice-Chancellor, President and CEO, UWE Bristol
Sustainability across campus
Since 2016, 100% of our energy comes from renewable sources, plus we have invested in a large onsite solar panel array and a new high-tech heating network providing low-carbon heating and electricity to the Frenchay Campus, saving approximately 650 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year.
The award-winning Frenchay Beeline is just one example of the many UWE Bristol projects which are making a difference. The Students' Union Green Team have contributed hugely to our success with many engaging initiatives and events.
Our commitment to sustainability
Watch our passionate staff and students discuss their work in delivering UWE Bristol's sustainability ambitions.
Sustainability news and events
- UWE Bristol declares a Climate and Ecological Emergency
- UWE Bristol launches its ambitious strategy for the next decade, Strategy 2030: Transforming Futures
- Research shows Bristol residents support measures required to achieve cleaner air
- UWE Bristol recognised for hedgehog-friendly campus
- Scientists develop machine that transforms dirty water into drinkable supply
- The Students’ Union and UWE Bristol win three awards at the 2019 South West Fairtrade Business Awards
Awards, certifications and external recognition
In 2019 UWE Bristol were awarded the Soil Association Food for Life silver award for the third year running, we were finalists in five categories of the UK and Ireland Green Gown Awards, and The Students’ Union at UWE received the ‘Highest Scoring Students’ Union’ Award at the NUS Green Impact Awards.