ISO 14001 Environmental Management System
Embedding continuous improvement
UWE Bristol is proud to have been awarded its first certification for the international standard BS:EN ISO14001:2004 in July 2014. The certification covered the whole institution, our Estates, Services and Educational provision. In 2017 we were one of the first universities to transition to the ISO14001:2015 standard, which requires organisations to adopt a more strategic, integrated and holistic approach when implementing and managing an Environmental Management System (EMS).
The Environmental Management System
The University of the West of England, Bristol’s EMS is designed to manage significant aspects, risks and opportunities that result from the operations taking place across the entire University including The Students’ Union at UWE. All activities undertaken at all campuses and sites are considered within the scope of the EMS. The activities of all employees and contractors are within the scope of the EMS.
Research carried out within UWE Bristol faculties and professional services by students is included, however research carried out by external parties on our sites is excluded.
Achieving aims through a systemic approach
The aims of the standard are to build on, embed, and ensure our continuous improvement in managing the University’s environmental impact. This requires us to take a systemic approach to identify:
- those operations and activities which have significant impact on our environment
- the relevant compliance obligations which includes environmental legislation with which we need to comply, to improve our performance on a year by year basis.
Frequent audits to achieve successful implementation
To ensure successful implementation we undertake regular internal audits. As well as checking our progress under the ISO standard, the audits provide a vehicle to:
- promote both the overall aims of UWE Bristol’s Strategy 2030
- promote the ongoing work of the Sustainability team – in particular as to how we can support departments to make necessary changes
- facilitate greater integration of Estates, Services, teaching, learning, and research in order to enhance the quality of the student experience at UWE Bristol.
For more information, please read our Strategy 2030.