Submit your evidence for reasonable adjustments

Submit your evidence

You can submit your evidence at any time. In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your impairment or medical condition.

  • If you are a current student, please send your evidence via our enquiry form (InfoHub login required).
  • If you are applying to the university for the first time, please send your evidence to the Disability Service at

If you have an impairment, mental heath condition or medical condition

Appropriate evidence

A letter from your GP, consultant or other medical professional is appropriate evidence.

Your evidence should contain:

  • confirmation that you have a physical impairment or mental health condition that has a substantial and long-term negative effect on your ability to carry out normal daily activities
  • the length of time the condition or impairment has been present and whether it is likely to last for a long time
  • effects on study that are observed or predicted at this time, for example, any mobility issues, sleep disturbance resulting in fatigue, concentration problems, lack of motivation, difficulties with taking notes etc.

We do not normally accept photocopies of prescriptions, letters from the UWE Bristol Wellbeing Service or photos of your injury.

Evidence of pregnancy/maternity

If you or your partner are pregnant then please provide a copy of your MATB1 form or a copy of medical correspondence which confirms the expected delivery date.

Evidence of your caring responsibilities

We ask that you provide us with evidence of your caring responsibilities. This may include:

  • a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming that the student is in receipt of carers allowance
  • a letter from a medical/social care professional working with the person being cared for (for example, mental health practitioner, social worker, consultant, GP). The letter needs to outline:
    • disabled adult/child’s diagnosis/needs
    • type of caring support provided (emotional support, personal care, shopping etc).

If you require further advice regarding the best type of evidence to supply then please contact Information Point. Alternatively, supply what you do have and we will be in touch with you. 

Covering the cost

All applicants and students are required to meet the costs of any reports or letters.

What if I don't have evidence or I am awaiting diagnosis?

Please don’t let lack of evidence or diagnosis stop you from contacting us about reasonable adjustments. We know that delays to diagnosis and evidence happen. However, we do want your evidence, if you have it, so that we can more deeply understand your requirements.

If you have a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD, including dyslexia)

Appropriate evidence 

A diagnostic assessment is appropriate evidence if you are applying for DSAs. UWE Bristol's requirements for evidence are broader and you may not require the below. Please send us what you have and we will advise further.

It should:

  • show confirmation that you have a specific learning differences (SpLDs) (eg dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, ADD or ADHD)
  • state that the report meets the 'SpLD Working Group 2005/DfES Guidelines for Assessment of SpLDs in Higher Education'
  • show that the assessment was provided by a psychologist or suitably qualified specialist teacher.

Covering the cost

UWE Bristol provides diagnostic assessments and students are responsible for paying the full amount. However, there is a diagnostic fund available that may reduce the full amount for current UWE Bristol students. To book or enquire about prices, please contact the Access and Learning Strategies Team at or view other ways to contact us.

Find out more about what support is available to you while you are at the University.

You may also be interested in