The University offers a range of support to students who experience short or long-term mental health conditions, and recognises that there are a range of access needs that may be appropriate, depending upon your circumstances and choice of course.

Reasonable adjustments

We are committed to making reasonable adjustment to help reduce the effect of an impairment or medical condition that places you at a substantial disadvantage in your learning, teaching or assessment situation. For example, adjustments to assessments such as extra time, use of a computer or alternative assessment.

Find out how to request adjustments


Depending on your eligibility, funding can cover such things as specialist equipment and support workers.

We strongly recommend you apply for Disabled Student Allowances (DSAs) as soon as possible and at least three months before you start your course, if you are eligible. If you are not eligible for DSAs please contact Disability Service.

Wellbeing support

The Wellbeing Service provides structured appointment-based support to UWE Bristol students across all campuses. They can make referrals directly to NHS specialist teams and other external provides if needed and have a close working relationship with local mental health services.

Community mental health services

If you are already accessing community mental health services, you may find it helpful to discuss your decision to apply for a higher education course with your psychiatrist, psychologist or community psychiatric nurse (CPN) if you have not already done so. Getting their professional opinion may help you to decide if this is right for you.

If you are using mental health services and will have to move some distance to study at UWE Bristol, you will need to register with a new GP when you come to Bristol and talk to your current GP and care team about arranging a transfer of care to Bristol mental health services, so this is in place for your arrival.

If you already have support from NHS mental health services, we would recommend that you talk to your care coordinator or consultant about referral to local NHS services if they feel that you need to continue receiving support while at university. We would recommend that these referrals/transfers of care take place before you arrive at university to make sure that you avoid a gap in support. We would also recommend that you register with a local GP as soon as you arrive.

If you are not currently receiving support from local mental health services and feel you would benefit from this input, please discuss this with your GP. See our guidance on booking an appointment.

Please note: The Disabled Students’ Allowances do not fund support that is directly medical or personal-care related. This continues to be provided by health or social services departments.

Study support

The support and equipment you will receive at the University is normally decided through your Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) Study Needs Assessment. Depending on your support needs the following may be applicable to you:

  • recording devices for lectures and seminars
  • specialist mentoring support to help with organisation and structure of work, time management and planning
  • provision of assistive technology (equipment and software)
  • exam adjustments such as extra time, rest breaks, separate room etc.

You should also look at the range of university study skills support as well as Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) sessions.

More support for impairments

Get more information and advice on support for any impairments.

More support for impairments