We are here to support your counselling, mental health and personal development needs. Register with us so that we can understand how best to support you.

"My counsellor was nice, kind, reliable, made me feel comfortable and helped me during the session."

Student, UWE Bristol

Student UWE Bristol


We offer individual sessions, online and telephone counselling to support you during your time with us.

We can help you with:

  • adjusting to university life
  • feeling lonely or unsure about friends
  • feeling stressed, anxious, depressed or experiencing panic
  • coming to terms with bereavement or difficult things in the past
  • troubles with eating, self-harm or feeling suicidal
  • difficulties with confidence or low self-esteem
  • problems in relationships with family, friends or partners.

Major changes are an inevitable part of university life and may come at a time when the familiar support networks of home, family and friends may be less accessible. Student counselling can help you as you adjust to these changes.

You are able to access the Wellbeing Service throughout your studies. If for any reason you need to re-sit part of your course, you are able to access the Wellbeing Service whilst you complete your studies.

Get counselling

Private practitioners

The Wellbeing Service cannot make any recommendations for private practitioners.

If you're looking for a private practitoner we suggest that you look at a local directory or the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) website to find a counsellor with expertise in the area you'd like to focus on, or we can put you in contact with local NHS services.

Support for mental wellbeing

We also offer regular mental health support:

  • Individual sessions
  • Liaising with academic departments
  • Linking with other support available within the University
  • Liaising with local services including doctors and mental health teams

If applicable, the Senior Wellbeing Practitioner will discuss the support you could receive through the Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA), such as mentoring.

We understand that getting in touch can sometimes feel difficult so we aim to make these conversations as comfortable as possible.

If you would like support, please complete the wellbeing registration form. Or feel free to contact us for a conversation about how we can best support you.

Personal circumstances

We are unable to provide supporting evidence of personal circumstances for students who do not already attend the Wellbeing Service.

If you have been seeing a Wellbeing Practitioner or Counsellor for something which is affecting your studies, please submit your personal circumstances application and state that you have been receiving support from the Wellbeing Service. You do not need an appointment with us to request evidence.