Support for students with any impairment

Find out more about how we can support students with different impairments.

Advice about different conditions and impairments

The following pages provide more detailed information about the types of support and reasonable adjustments available here at UWE Bristol. The list is not exhaustive and just provides some examples of the types of support that may be helpful to you.


In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your impairment or medical condition to

For guidelines on appropriate disability evidence please read the Student Finance Eligibility information.


Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) may be available from your funding body to support your studies.

DSA is non-means tested and you don’t need to pay it back. It is available alongside any other funding you may receive. For more information about DSAs, visit the Student Finance website.

Once your funding body confirms you are eligible for support, a trained assessor will carry out an assessment of needs to establish what support and equipment you need. This assessment can be booked through Access West of England which is based on Frenchay Campus.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body and/or you are an international student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. For more information contact Disability Service.


Find out about accommodation for students with additional needs in our guidance for applicants and future students.

"What I enjoy most about UWE Bristol is the positive and supportive atmosphere created by everyone, from the disability advisers to the academic staff. This makes me feel included and welcome."

Elina, BSc(Hons) Psychology
Read more

Elina BSc(Hons) Psychology

Elina has overcome a variety of obstacles to pass her exams with flying colours while achieving a Grade 5 in practical musicianship.

Elina was always fascinated about the human mind and passionate about finding out how others solve problems. So a degree course in Psychology seemed the logical thing to do. Despite being disabled – she was born blind – and other challenging situations, Elina has excelled herself. Parallel to studying for her degree, Elina pursued her love for music and wants to use this combination in a career in music therapy.

Elina’s future plans include, “a counselling or research doctorate and to pass knowledge and understanding as well as peaceful thinking to as many people as possible.”

Parking and campus accessibility

All campuses also have wide disabled bays and the University operates an accessible parking permit scheme. To find out more about accessible parking and to obtain car parking permits, please visit the transport pages.

Frenchay Campus has many accessible features including lifts to different levels, automatic doors and clearly marked accessible routes. Other UWE Bristol campuses are also accessible, however, due to the age of the buildings, there may be some minor navigational issues.

We encourage you to visit the campus where your course will be based as this should help you judge whether you will need orientation support.

Emergency evacuation

While on University premises, you must be able to leave buildings safely in the event of a fire or other emergency.

If you cannot evacuate yourself in an emergency situation and need help to make a safe exit, or if you want to know how your evacuation would work, please contact your Programme Leader. They can set up a personal emergency evacuation plan (PEEP) with you that is tailored to your needs.


The University encourages all applicants and students to disclose any disability and support needs they might have. Without this information, we would be unable to offer you the appropriate information, guidance and support to enable you to access your studies eg exam adjustments.

If you have not already disclosed via your application form, you can send us your medical evidence to