How to suspend, transfer or withdraw from your studies

Advice for students considering changing courses, mode of study or leaving university.

You may be considering suspending, transferring or withdrawing for a number of reasons, such as:

  • the programme of study is different from your expectations
  • you are missing your home and friends
  • you are having difficulty coping financially
  • you have become interested in one particular part of a programme of study and want to specialise in that area
  • personal health or family problems which make it difficult or impossible to continue studying.

All of these are perfectly good reasons for wanting to make a change. However, you may be able to resolve some of these issues without having to take as big a step as changing your programme or university, or even leaving higher education completely.

Many changes have financial implications, including being liable for fees even if you withdraw. You should refer to our Student Fees Policy to learn more.

Accredited learning information student

Accredited learning

How to gain accreditation for prior learning.

Changing modes of study student at home

Changing your mode of study

Things to be aware of before you go from part time to full time, or vice versa.

Suspending your studies at UWE Bristol

Suspending your studies

What you need to do to request a suspension of studies.

Transferring course Asian student looking happy

Transferring your course

Find out how to transfer to a new course.

Withdrawing from the University

What to do if you are thinking of withdrawing temporarily from your studies or leaving higher education permanently.

Transferring university

What to do if you're thinking of transferring from UWE Bristol to another university or college.