View a list of external examiner resources and external examiner induction day information.
External examiners are individuals drawn from academia and also industry, business and the professions, appointed to provide institutions with impartial and independent advice alongside informative comment on the institution’s standards and on student achievement in relation to those standards.
If you are a member of staff at UWE Bristol and are interested in becoming an external examiner please see our FAQs (PDF) for more information about the role.
- UWE Bristol External Expertise Service
- The External Examiner's Operational Guide (PDF)
- Flowchart of monitoring and external reporting feedback loop (PDF)
- Collaborative Provision Operations SharePoint site Guidance (PDF)
- Collaborative Provision Operations SharePoint site - Folders and Headings Guidance (PDF)
- External Examiner Fee and Expenses Procedure (PDF)
- Fee Payment Schedule (PDF)
- HEA Handbook for External Examining (PDF)
- Exam Board Guidance 2021 (PDF)
Online assessment guidance webpage
External Examiners will be provided with sample packages (containing samples of student submissions, marking and feedback) and files related to any modules they have been allocated. This page will tell you how you will receive assessment samples with links to relevant guidance and systems.
Exam paper SharePoint
The Exam Paper SharePoint sites have been created to overcome the need to send exam documents via email to various parties. Each module that has an exam expected will have a folder in the relevant Field on the site. Exam papers are managed through SharePoint sites by department.
Exam paper moderation guidance
This page contains step by step guidance for External Examiners on navigating and using the exam paper SharePoint sites.
|Academic regulations and procedures
This page contains our current academic regulations and procedures and related policies. A useful document for you to read ahead of Field and Award Boards taking place is the Exam Board Notes Guidance.
Induction day information
Please watch the presentations shared at the External Examiners Conference along with other external examiner induction day resources:
- Agenda for the External Examiners’ Virtual Conference (PDF)
- Session 1 – Welcome and Overview presentation – Rachel Cowie (PDF)
- Session 2 – New External Examiners Role of the External Examiner at UWE Bristol presentation – Jenny Dye and Judith Ritchie (PDF)
- Session 3 – External Expertise Service Demo
- Session 6 – External Examining of Partnership Provision presentation – Hilary Drew (PDF)
- External Examiner Annual Reporting (PDF)
- Examples of good and poor responses within external examiner reports (DOC)
Follow this link for a video guide on Pebblepad.