UWE Bristol Employability Bursary
This bursary is available to students undertaking certain employability activities.
About the bursary
The UWE Bristol Employability Bursary aims to support lower-income UK undergraduate students to access a range of activities. This aims to add value to your student experience and help you achieve a better graduate outcome.
There are 500 bursaries of up to £1,000 (depending on activity type) available in the academic year 2022 to 2023. The bursary is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. This will be in addition to the UWE Bursary for UWE Bursary-eligible students. The Employability Bursary is non-repayable and paid as a lump sum.
Students can receive a maximum of £1,000 in funding each academic year. The academic funding year runs from 1 August to 31 July. This means that if you take part in an activity before 31 July 2023, you can apply for funding again after 1 August 2023 for the 2023 to 2024 academic year.
Please note: if a single activity spans two academic years, it will only qualify for one bursary payment.
The bursary is available for students who wish to undertake an eligible optional employability activity. The bursary can be used to cover the cost of accessing the activity and for equipment, travel and clothing for employability activities.
To be eligible for this bursary you must:
- be fully registered as an undergraduate UK domiciled student at UWE Bristol
- qualify for support with tuition fees (if liable for tuition fees during the academic year) and living costs support from Student Finance if you are an undergraduate student
- have a household income of £30,000 per year or below, as assessed by Student Finance
- have a confirmed place on an eligible activity.
Please note: you must apply for and secure an activity before you can receive a bursary. Payment cannot be made unless your place has been confirmed by the provider and approved by UWE Bristol.
The bursary cannot support an activity that is a compulsory requirement of a degree programme but can support the following activities:
- Sandwich placements (including self-employed placements)
- Enterprise Summer Scholarships
- UWE Bristol undergraduate internships
- Think Pacific Internship – Fiji
- CCUSA – USA and Canada Summer Camp Opportunities
- Think Pacific Virtual Internship
- Study Abroad (student exchange)
- Project Zulu
- New Wave Agency (School of Art)
- International opportunities within the School of Health and Social Wellbeing (for more information, please contact your programme or module leader):
- Crossing Borders opt-in module
- Worldwide Nursing (Electives) opt-in module
- Croatia field trip
If your activity involves overseas travel, you will be required to complete a specific overseas risk assessment and share important travel and in-country information. You will be guided to complete this when needed.
How to apply
If you are applying for a sandwich placement (including self-employed placements), please complete the Employability Activity Confirmation 2022 to 2024 process through InfoHub (login required). During this process, you will be asked to confirm your eligibility.
We will apply on your behalf (after checking your activity qualifies as an employability opportunity) if you are applying via:
- the New Wave Agency in the School of Art
- international opportunities within the School of Health and Social Wellbeing.
For all other activities, the relevant UWE Bristol team managing your activity will make you aware during their application process of when and how you will be considered for the bursary.
What happens after you've applied?
After you complete the relevant application process for the activity you are undertaking the managing team will confirm if your place is approved.
Once approval for your chosen activity is confirmed your financial eligibility will be considered by the UWE Student Money Service.
You will then receive an email notification from the UWE Bristol Student Money Service confirming whether or not you meet the criteria for financial eligibility outlined above.
Once you have satisfied the criteria for acceptance, your bursary payment will take up to 22 working days following the email notification. Please note that the payment you receive will be made via the Student Loan Company system rather than from the University directly.