UWE Cares support

Ways we can support you if you are a UK undergraduate care leaver, estranged student or student carer.

Here to help you

We are committed to helping you succeed on your course. Our aim is to help you settle in, make the most of the many opportunities that UWE Bristol has to offer, and provide you with information and support to help overcome challenges or worries you might face.

Two people talking at a table in Onezone on Frenchay Campus

Information and guidance

We’ll support you with:

  • a named point of contact for queries and concerns, from application all the way through to graduation
  • support to help you access Information Points, academic help, careers and employability, the University's library, study skills, wellbeing support and the Student Money Service
  • support to access disability support and a Disability Adviser if you have a disability or if your caring responsibilities impact on your studies
  • a Students’ Union UWE Cares Society and other social events throughout the year so you can settle in and meet other students
  • exciting opportunities to develop by meeting senior UWE Bristol staff, and the opportunity to attend external conferences and awards ceremonies
  • financial support towards the cost of gym memberships, joining societies and buying ID for jobs and volunteering
  • a regular newsletter, helping you get involved in the many opportunities and support services provided by UWE Bristol.

Other university sources of support include


We’ll support you with a named Careers and Employability Coach, who will contact you directly and help you reach your goals.


We’ll support you with:

  • You may be eligible for 365-day accommodation onsite at Frenchay Campus, meaning you can live in university accommodation all year – including during the summer holidays - for the duration of your undergraduate course. Living in university accommodation is a great way to meet people!
  • If you’re eligible for 365-day accommodation, we’ll pay or waive your deposit for UWE Bristol accommodation or Unite Students accommodation.
  • If you're a care leaver or estranged from your family, you’ll also have the opportunity to apply for the UNITE Foundation accommodation scholarship. There aren't many of these scholarships, but if you’re chosen you’ll have no housing costs or bills for up to three years in a city-centre UNITE accommodation building.

To apply for the UNITE Foundation accommodation scholarship, please email UWECares@uwe.ac.uk.

View information about accommodation options at UWE Bristol, including summer accommodation.


You may be eligible for the UWE Cares Bursary, which is:

  • £1,500 in each year of your first undergraduate degree course. The bursary is non-repayable and paid to you in three instalments, one in each term
  • a £500 non-repayable graduation bursary to help you launch your life after you graduate.

You must meet certain eligibility to receive the UWE Cares bursary and 365-day accommodation.