Student carers

UWE Cares eligibility and how we assess you for support.

If you provide regular, ongoing and unpaid care to an ill or disabled family member, cohabiting partner, friend or neighbour and you are a Home UK undergraduate student, you can access support from UWE Cares as a student carer.

How to apply for the UWE Cares bursary and accommodation support

  1. Step 1

    To be eligible for our financial and accommodation support as a student carer, you must:

    • be a Home UK undergraduate student
    • be able to evidence your status as a student carer
    • be studying your first undergraduate degree, studying at least 30 credits per year
    • be income assessed by your Student Finance body as having a household income under £25,000.

    To see that you are a student carer, UWE Cares will need you to send us evidence. Please email us a photo or scanned copy of one of the following:

    • a copy of your latest Carer’s Award letter if you receive Carer’s Allowance, or
    • a copy of an award letter showing that the person you care for is in receipt of one of the following:
      • Attendance Allowance
      • Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit that includes a disability premium as part of the assessment
      • Disability Living Allowance
      • Employment and Support Allowance
      • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
      • Universal Credit.

    There is no age limit for student carers to receive the UWE Cares bursary. 

    Current students

    If you are a current student who wants to be assessed for the UWE Cares bursary and accommodation support, please email us at

    I don't meet the UWE Cares bursary eligibility. Can I still access support from UWE Cares?

    Any Home UK undergraduate student that is providing ongoing and unpaid care to an ill or disabled family member, cohabiting partner, friend or neighbour can access our non-financial support, which includes a designated point of contact, information, opportunities and events.

    UWE Cares support

    If you don’t meet the bursary eligibility and feel you are a student carer, contact us at and we can assess your circumstances on a case-by-case basis.

  2. Step 2

    Please refer to our application guidance if you need help.

  3. Step 3

    If you are a student carer, it's important that you let UWE Cares know you are coming to study with us at UWE Bristol. This helps us make sure you have all the info you need to access support and events when you begin your course. Email the team at

  4. Step 4

    The quicker you apply for student finance the better. This will help UWE Bristol to assess your eligibility for our UWE Cares bursary and for deposit waivers in UWE Bristol accommodation.

    Checklist for applying to student finance

    • Make sure your household income is assessed by Student Finance.

    You can apply for financial support from your funding body:

    The funding your student finance body offers you will be assessed according to your household income and your parent/s' income will be assessed if you're under 25.

  5. Step 5

    We'll need to assess your eligibility and see that you're a student carer for you to access the UWE Cares bursary and deposit waiver in UWE Bristol accommodation.

  6. Step 6

    If you are eligible for the UWE Cares bursary, you will also be eligible for UWE Cares accommodation support.

    When you choose UWE Bristol as your firm choice on UCAS, you’ll receive an email from our Admissions team inviting you to apply for student accommodation.

    Applications for UWE Bristol's accommodation options will open on 10 June 2023.

    We will give you more information about applying for accommodation when you contact us.

You must complete all of the above actions to be assessed for the UWE Cares bursary and accommodation support.

Guidance for prospective students

If you're thinking about studying at university and you are a student carer, the below resources can help:

  • UCAS guide to support for student carers at university
  • You may want to contact your council/local authority to request a Carer's Assessment before you start university so they know your home situation is changing. They can check your family is getting the right support so you can study.

Please tick the carer box on your UCAS application. This will help universities to offer you extra support.

"UWE Cares helped me so much. Knowing someone is there to help when I have worries makes a massive difference. Thanks so much!"

June, BA(Hons) Architecture

June BA(Hons) Architecture

You may also be interested in