Support for carers, care leavers and estranged students

Inclusive support and enhanced opportunities to help you succeed.

Committed to helping you

We understand that going to university can be challenging if you have little or no family support or if you are caring for ill or disabled family members, so UWE Cares is here to help. We're committed to providing you with extra support so you can succeed on your course and reach your goals.

Who we support

UWE Cares supports Home UK undergraduate students who are:

  • care leavers or care experienced – students that have lived in supported housing, local authority or foster care for any duration before they turned 18
  • permanently estranged – that have permanently separated from both parents or if both a student's parents are deceased, and the student is under 25 at the start of their course
  • student carers – students who provide regular, ongoing and unpaid care to an ill or disabled family member, cohabiting partner, friend or neighbour.
Students working together in a booth

What we offer

UWE Cares can support you in a number of ways, from providing information and guidance, events, opportunities, specialist careers support and finance through our bursary and accommodation support.

  • A designated point of contact for queries and concerns, from application through to graduation.
  • Help to access specialist support services at UWE Bristol.
  • Enhanced Careers guidance and opportunities, including a Careers Coach and extended access to careers support once you’ve graduated.
  • Regular communications with information on support, opportunities and activities across the University.
  • Events throughout the year including a Start of the Year Welcome Event and UWE Cares Student Voice events, where you can help shape the developing support that UWE Bristol offers.
  • Financial support towards moving house and vouchers for new starters. 
  • Care Leavers and estranged students will have the opportunity to apply for the UNITE Accommodation Scholarship, which awards free, Bristol city-centre university accommodation for up to three years.
  • Undergraduate students who are supported by UWE Cares will also have access to the UWE Cares PG Bursary if they want to continue their studies at UWE Bristol.

The following support may also be available, depending on eligibility:

  • UWE Cares Bursary of £1,650 per academic year and a £500 bursary when you graduate
  • UWE Bristol managed accommodation all year round, for every year of your undergraduate study
  • Advance rent payment for UWE Bristol accommodation options waived. 

Find eligibility information for your personal circumstances at care leavers, estranged students or student carers

We're here to help – contact us at if you have any questions.

Eligibility and assessment

Group of students sat talking at a table

Estranged students

How to get assessed for support if you’re estranged from your family.

Group of students in a lecture

Care leavers or care experienced

How to get assessed for support if you’re a care leaver or care experienced.

Two students having a conversation in a booth on campus

Student carers

How to get assessed for support if you care for someone in your family.

"I’ve always felt able to contact UWE Cares and access the support I need. If I didn’t have UWE Cares, I probably wouldn’t have completed my degree. They’ve made a real difference to my time at university. If you’re thinking of coming to university, do it."

Ali, BA(Hons) Forensic Science

Ali BA(Hons) Forensic Science

UWE Cares video

Our animation, made by graduate and care leaver Rediat Abayneh, explains how we can support you.

You may also be interested in