What to do before you start your placement

Once you have had your placement approved there will be a number of steps to take before starting your placement.

What you need to do

  1. Step 1

    You'll need to attend a placement briefing in the spring term, so check our placement events information for dates.

  2. Step 2

    You must register with UWE Bristol for your next academic year in MYUWE. You'll be told when you can register through your UWE Bristol email.

    We will also attach you to the placement module and give you access to the Blackboard site in the new academic year.

    Please note – if you have any issues access Blackboard you’ll need to contact a Student Advisor.

    Failure to register can cause complications on access to your modules.

  3. Step 3

    A sandwich placement costs the same as one academic module, which means that sandwich students have one less module to study in their final year.

    Reapply for your funding if eligible online through Student Finance, the same as you did last year. Your course should be listed as SW e.g. BSc Biological Sciences (SW) if not you can change this on your account.

    There is no impact on your fees if you are doing a short-term placement.

    Use our tuition fees search to find out the cost of a module for your course and see placement costs and finance.

  4. Step 4

    You will need to organise your own accommodation for your placement year, as the University doesn't provide assistance with this. If you're on placement in a new city, speak to your employer as they may be able to advise you about potential areas to investigate. Larger employers who take on a number of placement students sometimes help students with finding accommodation.

    View further accommodation guidance:

  5. Step 5

    You may need to commute to work or travel as part of your job, so get information about what travel is expected as part of your role before accepting the position. Employers will often cover mileage and the cost of public transport, but you generally need to consider the cost of your commute to and from work.

    Greater London

    If you're on placement in Greater London you may be eligible for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard. Please ensure you've updated MYUWE to reflect your address in Greater London before you start your application, or your application will be rejected.

International students

If you are on a student visa, it is very important you let us know about your placement at least two to four weeks ahead of your start date.

Students are at risk of breeching their visa terms if they fail to update the placement team on any changes that take place to their placement. The types of changes include:

  • start and end date
  • placement location
  • contact details.

If you fail to do this your visa may be removed. If you have any questions about this, please speak to a member of the immigration advice team.

Further information

What do I do if I fail a module?

Don't worry, you can discuss your options with the Student Support Advisers.

You'll need to arrange time off with your employer so you can return for your resit, which might mean taking annual leave.

International students

If you fail a module, you’ll need to wait until your results have been published in the summer before you can start your placement. You may also need to discuss moving your start date with your employer. If that's the case, please contact the Placement Team and we'll guide you through the process.

Is there any funding available to me?

See placement costs and finance for details on funding that might be available to you, advice on financing your placement and how much you can expect to be paid.


Next steps