Support for exchange students


The Study Abroad Team works closely with our partner Universities and academic colleagues to ensure the smooth running of study exchanges. The team are happy to answer queries from incoming exchange students and should be your first point of contact for all queries. Please email if you have any questions.

Campus and travel

UWE Bristol is located in the city of Bristol in the South West of England, around 120km west of London.

Bristol is a diverse and multi-cultural city in which to study and live and is surrounded by beautiful English countryside. Famed for its original music, festivals, food and culture, Bristol has been voted one of the best cities in the UK to live.

Discover more about Bristol

Our campuses

UWE Bristol has three main campuses located in Bristol:

Explore all of UWE Bristol's campuses

With campuses in, and on the outskirts of Bristol city centre, UWE Bristol is easily accessible via bus, coach, train, car and bike.

If you should wish to travel outside of the UK, Bristol Airport offers direct flights to many UK and European cities.

See how to travel to us

Airport welcome

If you are a new international or EU student, we offer an airport welcome operating from London Heathrow Airport on pre-arranged dates in September and January, subject to minimum numbers.

Find out more about airport welcomes


University accommodation

Living in university accommodation on campus is a great way to make new friends and gain independence.

UWE Bristol has a varied portfolio of accommodation available to applicants on different budgets. Accommodation contracts follow the structure of our academic year, with most contracts running from September until June.

Students coming for the full academic year who submit their accommodation application by the guarantee deadline are guaranteed a place in UWE Bristol accommodation

Please note: if you are studying with us for a single semester, our Accommodation Team will do their best to help you find suitable accommodation on campus, or in the city centre, but this is not guaranteed.

After you have successfully submitted your application, you will receive an email with details of how to apply online for university accommodation. We recommend that you apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment. For further information about the accommodation process, please contact our accommodation team.

Explore your accommodation options

Private accommodation

If you wish to rent from a private landlord, please view our information regarding private accommodation. Please note: our accommodation team cannot help with queries regarding private accommodation. In those instances, you'll need to contact the private operator directly.

Our Students' Union can also provide useful information about private student lettings.

Visit Bristol also have a range of accommodation options to suit your needs.

How much do I need to pay for accommodation and living costs?

Exchange students are responsible for all personal expenses including your accommodation costs.

For a nine-month course, students can expect their living costs (including accommodation) to be approximately £9,500, although this will vary according to lifestyle.

UWE Bristol accommodation costs between £5,500-£10,000 for a 40-45 week contract including most bills, whereas private accommodation costs upwards of £3,500 per year excluding bills.

Find out more about money and finance

Council tax and money

Council tax is a fee paid to local government in return for provision of services such as waste collection and road maintenance.

Students in university-managed accommodation are automatically exempt from paying council tax.

Exchange students living in private accommodation may be exempt from paying council tax if they meet certain conditions.

If you’re over 20 years old, then your course(s) must:

  • last at least 24 weeks
  • involve at least 21 hours study a week
  • be at a recognised educational establishment
If you’re under 20, then your course(s) must:
  • last at least 3 months
  • involve at least 12 hours study per week

Students who do not meet these criteria, will be required to pay council tax every month during their exchange. The exact amount will depend on the property they live in. More information and apply for student exemption from council tax.


Students wishing to study at UWE Bristol for less than six months can use the Visitor visa. Find out more about visas for short-term study. To determine whether you are a 'Visa National' please visit the government guidance.

Students wishing to study at UWE Bristol for more than six months will be required to apply for a Student visa. Find out more about Student visas.


The University Health Centre

Our Health Centre, based on Frenchay Campus, treats students with minor injuries and illnesses. All non-UK students can register with a doctor free of charge. When arriving in the UK, EU/EEA students should bring their European Health Insurance card (EHIC) card with them.

Read about the University Health Centre

The National Health Service (NHS)

The NHS provides free hospital treatment, free access to doctors, fixed charges for medicine and fixed charges for dentistry and opticians. Most students can register for a HC1 Certificate which allows them to reclaim the costs for paid-for services. Visa and non-visa nationals studying in the UK on a course of less than six months will need to arrange their own health insurance. Visa and non-visa nationals studying in the UK for more than six months will be asked to pay an Immigration Health surcharge of £470 per year.

EU nationals who:

  • have a student visa issued after 31 December 2020
  • have an EHIC card
  • do not work in the UK

may be able to get some of their Immigration Health Surcharge reimbursed from January 2022 onwards (but backdated to take 2021 into account). See GOV.UK for further information.

The Students' Union at UWE

The Students' Union at UWE's Advice Centre can help with money matters, employment, housing and other matters.

You may also be interested in