Everything you need to know about short-term study

As of 1 December 2020, short term study is permitted under the standard visitor route.

Who is it for?

Students who need to consider this visa route are usually:

  • on a short course, like an English Language course
  • taking distance-learning modules
  • re-sitting an assessment or retaking a whole module - but where it's not possible for us to issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

Where to apply for a visit visa

Non-visa nationals

Non-visa nationals are able to apply for the visa at the point of entry to the UK. Please see Arriving in the UK for important information about the use of eGates.

Visa nationals

Visa nationals must apply for entry clearance as a visitor before travel to the UK.

Supporting documents required

In addition to the supporting documents requested by the Home Office, you will need to provide a letter from UWE Bristol containing full details of your course of study. Please contact an Immigration Adviser for help with this.

Under 18s

If you are under 18 years of age there are additional requirements that you must meet. See supporting documents for details.

Conditions of short-term study

The conditions of short-term study are the same regardless of where the visa application is made.

  • You cannot extend your visa, or switch to another visa category, within the UK
  • You are not allowed to take employment of any kind
  • You cannot apply to bring family members as dependants – they must apply as visitors in their own right if they wish to accompany you
  • You must leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your course of study
  • You are not allowed to use frequent and successive visits to effectively live in the UK and circumvent student visa requirements.