UWE Bristol Grand Challenge
Make a difference
The Grand Challenge is an initiative for UWE Bristol designed to mobilise the energy, enthusiasm and intellectual capabilities of our students and staff to make a difference to a real-world problem. This year's topic was homelessness.
The Challenge operates through seven strands of inter-connected activity:
- Academic departments
- Professional Services
- The Students’ Union at UWE
- Writer in Residence
- Student team activity
It is open to all UWE Bristol students and you can join in any of these seven ways. It is designed to support your formal curriculum and enhance your student experience.
Contributions from our students and staff for this year’s Grand Challenge included:
- students who worked collaboratively on projects to address briefs set by local charities Caring in Bristol, 1625 Independent People, and Enactus, supported by staff acting as team coaches
- a Library Services Writer in Residence who produced a series of new creative pieces to raise awareness of the issue of homelessness in Bristol
- the embedding of learning around homelessness into the curriculum
- fundraising initiatives like Charity of the Year, craft and bake sales, donation of food, toiletry and clothing items and a Sleep Out organised by The Students’ Union at UWE.
You can download presentations showcasing previous achievements:
"The students working on our brief did an amazing job at analysing and proposing improvements for a website that we manage. As we are a very small team, having these students volunteer their time to provide us with these insights has been incredibly valuable."
Holly Supporter Relations Assistant, Caring In Bristol
Highlight the Hidden project overview
Watch Bella and Tom from the Highlight the Hidden team discuss their proposal for raising awareness of hidden homelessness to students across the University using a poster campaign.
1625 Independent People's project response
Watch Jamie from homelessness charity 1625 Independent People share his response to the Highlight the Hidden team’s presentation of their innovative ideas.
Taking part in the next Grand Challenge
The Grand Challenge 2020/21 will address UWE Bristol’s Strategy 2030 ambition of carbon neutrality.
Information on how to get involved will be available closer to the time.