Regulations and guidelines
View an overview of postgraduate research processes and guidance for research students and staff involved in supervision or examination of research students.
Overview of postgraduate research degree requirements
- Postgraduate (PG) Researchers must register at the beginning of their studies and each year thereafter.
- Within three months (full-time) or six months (part-time) of the start date, PG Researchers must register their project using form RD1 (Doc) and submit it to the Graduate School for the approval of the Faculty Research Degrees Committee (FRDC).
- The progression examination takes place at the end of stage one of the research project, normally at 12 months for full-time and 18 months for part-time PGRs, and includes a written report and viva. View form RD2b (Doc) - progression exam preliminary report.
- PG Researchers must successfully complete a review of progress at the end of each stage of their project to progress through their award. View form PR-a (Doc) - progress review.
- Final examination arrangements and final thesis title must be submitted a minimum of three months before submission of the thesis, using forms EX1 (Doc) and EXCV (Doc).
Faculty Research Degrees Committee
The Faculty Research Degrees Committee (FRDC) is responsible for approving changes to registration, personal circumstances applications (via confidential panel), progression examination and progress review outcomes and for making formal recommendations to UWE's Research Degrees Award Board (RDAB).
Any forms for approval at the FRDC must be submitted two weeks before the next meeting.
Conduct of research degees
The UWE Bristol PGR Academic Regulations and Procedures govern the conduct of research degrees. These are described in full in the Graduate School Handbook.
- Policy for PGRs who teach (PDF)
- Withdrawal Policy and Guidelines (PDF)
- Guidelines on the minimum credit requirement (PDF)
- Final assessment guidance for PGR examiners (PDF)
- Personal circumstances guidance for PGRs (PDF)
- Application for PGR personal circumstances (Doc)
- PGR personal circumstances process diagram (PDF)