Crisis and serious concerns
If you have urgent concerns about the welfare of a student or need support yourself, please contact one of the following numbers for support.
- +44(0)117 32 89999 from a mobile
- 9999 from a campus phone.
- Call 999 (from a mobile or landline).
- If overseas, contact Global Response on +44 (0)2920 662425 or UMAL@global-response.co.uk (ref UMAL/068) for 24/7 emergency assistance. Further information is provided via UWE Bristol travel cover (PDF).
Serious Concerns Line
During office hours call +44(0)7788 725507:
- Monday to Thursday 08:30-17:00
- Friday 08:30-16:30.
If it's out of hours call +44(0)7814 791212.
Reasons to call
Anyone can call the UWE Bristol Serious Concerns Line to share any serious concerns about:
- children (under the age of 18)
- vulnerable adults (people who need care and support – whether or not they currently receive it – and can't protect themselves from abuse or neglect)
- extremism or radicalisation in the University community or on campus.
Confidentiality and third parties
Our staff are unable to give any information about a student applying for a place at the University or a student currently studying at the University to a third party. This includes parents, guardians, spouses, siblings, friends and fellow students. It includes confirming whether or not a student is either currently or applying to be enrolled at UWE Bristol. UK legislation and university policy prohibits the disclosure of an individual’s information. All universities in the UK follow similar guidelines and the same legislation.
Staff are able to receive information about a student from a third party. Doing so does not confirm or deny that the student is either currently or applying to be enrolled at the University. Any information given to a member of staff that is relevant to safeguarding will be passed on to the appropriate service within the University for further action.
If you fit the definition of a third party and have concerns about a student please contact the Serious Concerns Line.
In an emergency, for example serious illness or accident, the University may reach out to a student's trusted emergency contact, normally with their permission, to reduce the potential risks and to enhance the support available to them.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 9656261 24 hours a day, including weekends
- See Contact us for more details.
You may also be interested in
Find out how to raise a safeguarding concern. We take all safeguarding concerns seriously and take proportionate and appropriate action.
Advice on academic-related issues and what to do if something happens which affects your studies.