Find out how to raise a safeguarding concern.

We are committed to:

  • supporting and promoting the welfare of our community – students, staff and visitors
  • creating a safe environment that’s conducive to work, study and enjoy for all members of our community.

Report a concern

Please call the UWE Bristol Serious Concerns Line to share any serious concerns about:

  • students
  • children (under the age of 18)
  • vulnerable adults (people who need care and support  whether or not they currently receive it  and can't protect themselves from abuse or neglect)
  • extremism or radicalisation in the University community or on campus.

Anyone can call.

Call the Serious Concerns line
Four international students walking on Frenchay Campus

Report and Support tool

Our online tool has been developed for UWE Bristol students to get help if you've experienced something on campus or on university business that makes you feel upset or uncomfortable.

With Report and Support, you can choose to speak with one of our trained advisers so they can discretely investigate incidents, or you can report issues anonymously.

Get support
See something that's not right? Report and Support logo

Prevent Duty and extremism

Government legislation has placed a statutory duty on Higher Education institutions to have “due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism”.

The legislation, known as the Prevent Duty, applies to all kinds of extremism related to any ideology. The objective is to safeguard individuals from being radicalised and drawn into terrorism.

If you have any concerns that a member of the University community may be vulnerable to radicalisation or that extremist organisations are operating on UWE Bristol campuses, please call the UWE Bristol Serious Concerns Line.

Confidentiality and third parties

Our staff are unable to give any information about a student applying for a place at the University or a student currently studying at the University to a third party. This includes parents, guardians, spouses, siblings, friends and fellow students. It includes confirming whether or not a student is either currently or applying to be enrolled at UWE Bristol. UK legislation and university policy prohibits the disclosure of an individual’s information. All universities in the UK follow similar guidelines and the same legislation.

Staff are able to receive information about a student from a third party. Doing so does not confirm or deny that the student is either currently or applying to be enrolled at the University. Any information given to a member of staff that is relevant to safeguarding will be passed on to the appropriate service within the University for further action.

If you fit the definition of a third party and have concerns about a student please contact the Serious Concerns Line.

In unusual circumstances, specific university staff will contact the student’s emergency contact (including without the student’s permission), if it is deemed appropriate to the situation.

Safeguarding information for staff

You can find out about safeguarding and reporting a student welfare concern on the staff intranet (login required).