Frequently asked questions - all drivers

Answers to popular queries about car parking on UWE Bristol campuses for all drivers. If you work for UWE Bristol, please also see our FAQs for staff and if you are studying here, please also see our FAQs for students.

How can I pay my car parking charge notice?

You can pay your notice online. Need instructions? Check your notice or find out more via enforcement and appeals.

How do I appeal a parking notice?

If you receive a parking charge notice or your vehicle is subject to enforcement action, you can appeal by contacting Open Parking using the details on your PCN or letter. You can also contact them through their website here. Unfortunately, it's not possible to appeal directly to UWE Bristol staff members. For more information please see our Car Parking Policy (PDF).

Why can't you provide more parking spaces?

We can only provide as many spaces as the local authority's planning permission allows.

To reduce our impact on the environment and wider community, we're developing and investing in alternative transport options. And that means trying to reduce the amount of single-occupancy car travel to our campuses. For more information, please read our Travel Action Plan.

What do you do with the money raised from car parking charges?

Any surplus revenue raised goes towards improving and maintaining sustainable travel infrastructure.

More information on our sustainable initiatives can be found via Transport.

Where can I find out about alternative ways to get to UWE Bristol?

Please see our campuses, maps and travel web pages for more information on travelling to UWE Bristol campuses by bus, rail and bicycle.

What are you doing to make sure your car parks are properly managed and maintained?

Our car parking operatives regularly patrol and carry out condition surveys on all of our University car parks. If you have any questions or concerns, please ask one of the operatives. Or if you want to report an issue, please contact the Facilities Helpdesk on Tel: +44 (0)117 32 81222.

Do I need to pay outside of term time?

Yes. You'll need to pay throughout the year, from 08:30 to 18:00, Monday to Friday (excluding advertised special events).

Can I park at the University when catching the Megabus or National Express?

No. We can only provide parking for people attending the University.

I am attending a short course/conference - do I need to pay to park?

If you haven't been notified of alternative arrangements or supplied with a parking pass, please contact your host or course leader to arrange parking.

I need to stay overnight - what do I need to do?

If you're a student or member of staff and want to park between the hours of 22:00 and 06:00, you'll need to register your vehicle at the East Entrance Security Lodge when you arrive.

I'm attending an interview/conference/Open Day - what should I do?

Parking instructions will be sent to you as part of the event you're attending. If you don't receive instructions, please contact the UWE Bristol department/service that invited you.

I'm a contractor - where am I allowed to park?

Term contractors (contract staff who work on site all year round) can apply for an annual permit and have the same access permissions as staff. To arrange your permit, just talk to the University staff member who manages the contract. External contractors should speak to their UWE Bristol contact.

What happens if I'm on site late and have a long walk to my car park?

The barriers to car park 1 are lifted from 18:00 to allow for easier access to the campus buildings in the evenings. If you have any concerns about your personal safety, please contact Security Services.

Why are contractors allowed to park outside designated areas?

Some contract and service vehicles need to park in restricted areas due to the nature of their work. They've normally pre-arranged this with the Travel and Access team.

I'm travelling to UWE Bristol on a motorcycle - what should I do?

Motorcycles can park free of charge without displaying any permits in designated motorcycle parking bays which can be found on all campuses.

Can anyone book a visitor into the visitor car park?

Only University staff can book visitors into the visitor car parks. Please contact your host if you need to arrange parking.

Contact us

Travel and Access
University of the West of England
Coldharbour Lane
Bristol BS16 1QY

Tel: +44 (0) 117 32 81222

You may also be interested in