Frequently asked questions for students

Answers to popular queries about car parking on UWE Bristol campuses for students. Please also refer to FAQs for all drivers.

I’ve received a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) – what happens next?

Your Parking Charge Notice (PCN) must be paid within 28 days or your permission to park on campus may be revoked.

If you pay your PCN within 14 days you are offered a 50% discount which is currently £30. This rises to £60 if you choose to pay subsequently. See our enforcement and appeals information.

Why can't undergraduate students who live in Bristol park on Frenchay Campus?

Since 2015 all undergraduate students who live in the exclusion zone are not permitted to park on Frenchay Campus.

Local authority planning rules require us to reduce reliance on single occupancy vehicles so we are obliged to restrict car parking to those with viable alternatives. 

There are exemptions for those with mobility restrictions, childcare commitments or those living outside of Bristol.

Learn more about our Travel Action Plan and our commitment to zero carbon emissions by 2030.

How do I get a permit?

You can apply for a permit on the UWE Bristol facilities web page. Your permit can be printed once you have applied.

How long does it take to process my application?

Once you have submitted your term time address you must wait 24 hours for us to run an eligibility check. You can then submit your application and print your permit immediately.

If you are having problems with the process please email the Travel Team.

Can I get a refund on my paid permit if I no longer need it?

Student permits are non-refundable and are only valid for one vehicle.

What do I do if my car share partner is away? Can I bring my car in?

Yes, as long as the permit is registered to your vehicle.

If the permit is registered to your car share partner’s vehicle, then you’ll need to find an alternative way to campus until they return. We’re looking at options for flexible car share permits, so please watch this space.

I have a courtesy car or personal car hire for a few days - what should I do?

If you're a permit holder, please contact us at to inform us of the temporary registration change at the earliest opportunity to avoid mistakenly being issued with a PCN.

I have changed my car during the academic year - do I need to re-apply for a permit?

No you do not need to re-apply, but you must update your vehicle registration number on your permit on the UWE Bristol facilities web page. This should be done before bringing your car on to site.

Can I park overnight?

Yes. But we need to authorise it first. To do this, please register your vehicle at the East Entrance gatehouse.

Can I register more than one vehicle on a permit?

No. At the moment, permits only cover one vehicle. But we are looking at flexible car sharing options – if we change our policy at any point, we’ll let you know.

If I have a temporary disability, what can I do to make parking easier?

You can apply for an Accessible Parking Permit through the normal application process. You will need to follow this up with evidence from a medical professional detailing your need for accessible parking.

Which permit do I need if I only drive to campus when the weather is bad?

Either one would work. With the free Pay Daily permit, you’ll pay £3 per day. However, the £120 annual permit is equivalent to 40 days’ parking at the daily rate of £3. So if you want to park on campus for more than 40 days in an academic year, then buying an annual permit is more cost-effective.

You may also be interested in