Car park policy enforcement and appeals

Parking enforcement and appeals information for anyone that parks in a UWE Bristol operated car park.

I’ve received a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) – what happens next?

Your Parking Charge Notice (PCN) must be paid within 28 days or your permission to park on campus may be revoked.

If you pay your PCN within 14 days you are offered a 50% discount which is currently £30. This rises to £60 if you choose to pay subsequently.

Submit your payment online

Parking enforcement operations within university managed car parks are undertaken in accordance with current legislation. Please read the UWE Bristol parking policy (PDF) for full details of when parking enforcement will be applied.

What happens if I ignore the Parking Charge Notice?

Open Parking is contracted to carry out parking enforcement on UWE Bristol sites. Open Parking is a member of the International Parking Community (IPC) and has the right to request vehicle keeper details from the DVLA. This means you will receive a parking notice letter to the address the vehicle is registered under.

If payment isn't made within 28 calendar days (unless you're awaiting the decision of an appeal) the vehicle that the notice was applied to will no longer be authorised on university land. Your case will be progressed on to the debt collection and litigation stage which could result in you receiving a County Court Judgement (CCJ). A CCJ will affect your access to credit in the future – anything from a mobile phone contract to rental contract or mortgage.

If you have an existing permit for the campus car parks this may mean losing access to the car park barriers until the PCN is settled.

Staff and students won't be able to reapply for a permit for the following year until the PCN is paid.

If you're a student and have received one of these letters please don't ignore it. If you feel like you have mitigating circumstances that should be taken into consideration, please contact Open Parking as soon as you can. They will work with you to understand your situation and put in place appropriate support to resolve any outstanding charges to prevent any further action from being taken.

What if I'm using a hire car or no longer live at the address?

Charges still apply if the car is registered to another owner or is a hire car. There's an option on the letter to the vehicle owner from the DVLA to transfer liability. Until this is completed, the original recipient will be held liable.

How do I appeal against the parking charge?

If you choose to appeal against the charge you must do this within 28 days of receiving the PCN, otherwise you revoke your opportunity to appeal. If your first appeal is rejected by Open Parking you may appeal to the IAS (Independent Appeals Service).

You need to appeal using Open Parking's online system

On receipt of your appeal the appeals department will start investigations. You'll usually have a full written response to your appeal within 14 working days of receipt. Where it won't be possible to provide a response within that timescale you'll be notified of the delay and provided with an estimated date for response.

If in doubt, contact Open Parking and they can advise you accordingly. Please see the UWE Bristol parking policy for details.

Contact us

Travel and Access
University of the West of England
Coldharbour Lane
BS16 1QY


Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 81222

You may also be interested in