Work placements are a great opportunity to develop your skills and experience in the workplace, and put you at an advantage for getting a job in the future. UWE Bristol’s Careers Service can help you to find a placement that works for you – but are not a resident, a holder of a Tier 4 Visa or on a student visitor visa.

Placements and your visa

As a student with a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, you're permitted go on a work placement if it – and you – meet certain conditions.

About the placement

All placements need to be approved by the Placements team as part of the confirming your placement process. This is because you can only go on a work placement if it counts as a formal, assessed part of your course. Work placements can be part time or full time, paid or unpaid.

About you and your visa 

You will need:

  • a sponsor with Tier 4 sponsor status (us)
  • to be on a course at degree level or above
  • to hold immigration permission as a Tier 4 (Child) student
  • to hold immigration permission as a Tier 4 (Child) student and be at least 16 years old.

What about other work?

If you are allowed to work for ten or 20 hours a week, you can carry out this work in addition to time spent on a work placement.

If you applied for your leave on or after 6 April 2012, you might be able do a work placement as an assessed part of your course, even if you are not otherwise allowed to work.


How long can you spend on a placement?

You will be able to spend up to half of your course doing work placements, or longer if there is a legal requirement for this, only if you have Tier 4 (Child) immigration permission or if:

  • you have Tier 4 (General) immigration permission
  • your course is at degree level
  • your education provider meets the Home Office's definition of a higher education institution.

If you do not meet all of these requirements, your work placements can take up a maximum of one third of your total course.

If you are interested in doing a work placement and you are not sure if your course is at the right level or if you are unsure of the immigration rules please check with an Immigration Adviser