We have introduced two new services to help reduce the number of users browsing in our libraries, so that we can maximise the number of students who are able to use our study spaces. You can now request to 'click and collect' physical items, or request that we 'scan and deliver' items then email them to you.
Click and collect
You can request books (and other physical items) for collection. The click and collect service is available for items which are not already on loan. Items can be requested from any of our libraries and collected from Frenchay and Glenside.
Library staff will contact you when your item is ready for collection. Your order will be delayed if you have requested an item that has recently been returned, as all items will have a 3-day quarantine before being reissued.
How do I collect my items?
All items must be issued using the self-service machines. Our opening hours are currently reduced, so please check them before your visit.
- At Frenchay, you can collect items from the Reservation Area on Level 2 and issue them yourself.
- At Glenside you can collect items from the shelves next to the help/service desk and issue them yourself.
- At Alexandra Warehouse, library staff will contact you to arrange a collection time. Collections are available on Monday or Wednesday in September, and Monday, Wednesday or Friday in October.
How long will the items be kept?
Items will be held for 10 days.
If you are unable to pick up your item within the specified period then please contact the campus you intend to pick the item up from.
Scan and deliver
We can scan up to one chapter of a book, one journal article or up to 5% of an item and email it to you. This follows the Copyright Licensing Agency's guidance on 'fair' use. You can view the 'fair use' amounts on our copyright and studying page.
Requests will be refused where we have existing electronic access to an item.
How do I make a request for 'click and collect' or 'scan and deliver'?
If you would like to use either of these services, please complete our request form:
You can also use library search to find the required item, click on the item to get the availability screen, then click the 'request an item from the library' button which will take you to the request form.
What if I can't come to the library to borrow?
- You can fill out a third party consent form to allow someone to come and borrow on your behalf.
- You can request an item be posted.
What do the self-service machines do?
They can do some, or all, of the following, depending upon the self-service machine you're using:
- Issue items
- Return items
- Issue items you have reserved that are awaiting collection
How do they work?
Full instructions are displayed on the machine’s screen. You will need your UWE Bristol ID card and library PIN.
Why won't it let me borrow?
- You have over £5.00 in outstanding or accruing library fines
- You have borrowed too many items (see below)
How long can I borrow an item for?
Items may be borrowed for 90 days. If the item is not returned in time, then overdue charges will apply.
We will send monthly loan reminders by email during your 90 day loan. Staff and students will receive these emails on their UWE Bristol email account.
How many items can I borrow?
at any one time
|UWE Bristol students and staff||25|
Recall and reserve items
Our recall system is currently suspended.
Please see the 'borrow' section above for details of our new click and collect service which replaces reservations.
When do I need to return my books?
Loans are currently 90 days. You will receive a due date when you borrow the books.
If you have any doubts about your ability to return an item if you are going to be away from the university for a period of time, please return it before you go.
You may also receive a courtesy email, to your UWE Bristol email address, reminding you that the item is due. However, we advise you not to rely on the emails: if for some reason you do not receive the courtesy email you will still have to pay a fine.
How do I return my books?
You can use the self-service machines when the library is open.
Book return options:
- Frenchay: the return machine is available inside the Library.
- Glenside: during opening hours, you can use a book return box inside the Library. There is also a book return box available 24/7 outside the external Library entrance door.
- Bower Ashton: returns will be available during opening hours from Monday 21 September.
- Alexandra Warehouse: items may be returned to the book bin outside.
Can I return my books to any campus?
You can return items to any campus which has reopened, apart from non-standard items (see below) which will need to be returned to the campus you borrowed them from.
How do I return non-standard items?
Items such as inter-library loans, large items (eg big books from the Education Resources Collection), and anatomical models will need to be returned to the campus you borrowed them from during staffed opening hours.
What if I can't come in to return my books?
If you are returning to UWE Bristol in the autumn, you can return your books then. We will waive any resulting fines for late return.
If you have left Bristol and are not due to return, or if you are still concerned about returning your items, please contact us as we have a freepost service you can use.