A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network (in this case UWE Bristol) across a public network (your broadband or other internet connection).
The VPN allows your computer or laptop to communicate securely with licence servers on the UWE Bristol network.
When you will need a VPN connection for AppsAnywhere
Some software is only licenced for use on campus computers. This means that if you're using your own device on or off campus you'll need to use a VPN connection to obtain a license for these packages.
Software and devices requiring a VPN connection
In AppsAnywhere, you will see Campus only or VPN below the title of the software.
You need a VPN connection to access software licences from all devices when off campus. Personal devices will also required VPN when on campus.
Software requiring a VPN connection
|Altair FEKO WinProp|
|Ansys (although there is also a local version available)|
|Robot Structural Analysis|
|STK Systems Tool Kit|
|V-Ray for Revit|
|V- Ray for Rhino|
|V-Ray for SketchUp|
Starting a VPN connection
- Login to AppsAnywhere using your UWE Bristol email and password
- Search VPN in the search bar
- Select Pulse Secure VPN
- Click Download:
- Follow the instructions in the Pulse Secure Setup window:
- Once the set up is complete, open Pulse Secure and click the + button to add a new connection:
- In the 'Add Connections' window, enter the following details:
Server URL: xa.uwe.ac.uk/licence (must be lowercase)
- Click Add
- On your phone, download and install the Microsoft Authenticator from your app store - this is the same one you need for self-service password reset, so you may already have it installed.
- Sign into https://xa.uwe.ac.uk/licence using a web browser to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for Pulse Secure:
- You will be presented with a QR code. Open the Authenticator app on your phone and scan the QR code on the screen.
- Go back to Pulse Secure, click Connect and enter your UWE Bristol username and password:
- Open the Authenticator App on your phone and enter the six-digit token from the Pulse Secure account and click Connect:
- Once you are connected you can launch the required software from AppsAnywhere.
VPN connection time limit
VPN connections will last for a two-hour session and you'll get a notification when it's about to end.
If you need more time you'll need to reopen Pulse Secure to login and go through the authentication process again via using a VPN for AppsAnywhere (steps 6-14).