Student and project registration

Initial registration

You will need to register as a student when you start your research degree. This involves completing an online registration form and making arrangements for the payment of any tuition or project fees liable to the University (see below).

The Doctoral Academy will send you more information about this initial registration process after you accept our offer of a place of study.


You must re-register as a student at UWE Bristol for each year of study until the completion of your research degree. Re-registration will occur annually based on your start date: usually in October, January or April.

It is a condition of registration that you complete a number of progression milestones. Where possible, you will be sent a reminder when your progression milestone is due, but this cannot be guaranteed. You must take responsibility for adhering to the progression deadlines as set out in your terms and conditions.

If your progress is satisfactory, your continued registration will be authorised.


If you are liable for your tuition fees and/or any project fees, these will also need to be paid at the start of each year of study. 

If you are being sponsored, please make sure that your sponsor is aware that the fees will be due on an annual basis.

You should ensure that arrangements are in place as promptly as possible since a delay in the payment of fees may result in access to facilities at UWE Bristol being suspended.

Please visit our fees and funding page for current tuition and project fees.

Project registration

Within three months (full-time) or six months (part-time) of your start date, you will be required to formally register your research project using an CP1 (DOC) form.

You will need to work closely with your supervision team in outlining your research proposal and addressing your research training requirements. You should submit the completed RD1 to the Doctoral Academy office by email at

Your CP1 will need to be reviewed by the College Research Degrees Committee (CRDC) at their next available meeting. The Doctoral Academy office will report back to you with the CRDC's decision.

You may also be interested in