Science Communication Unit members
A variety of staff and students work with the Science Communication Unit on our practical, academic and postgraduate project portfolio.
- Dr Emma Weitkamp, Associate Professor in Science Communication, Co-Director of the Science Communication Unit
- Dr Clare Wilkinson, Associate Professor in Science Communication, Co-Director of the Science Communication Unit
- Dr Kathy Fawcett, Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- Dr Laura Fogg Rogers, Senior Lecturer in STEM Education and Communication
- Andrew Glester, Lecturer in Science Communication
- Dr Hannah Little, Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- Andy Ridgway, Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- Professor Alan Winfield, Professor of Robot Ethics
- Ana Bristow, Communications Project Coordinator for the Digital Engineering Technology Innovation (DETI) Skills Programme
- Louisa Cockbill, Project Coordinator for Curiosity Connections Bristol
- Dr Laura Hobbs, Research Fellow
- Sophie Laggan, Communications Officer: ClairCity
- Ruth Larbey, Editor and Project Manager for Science for Environment Policy
- Elena Milani, Research Fellow
- Dr Margarida Sardo, Senior Research Fellow
- Nicky Shale, Science Writer and Communicator
- Carla Smith, Project Editor for Science for Environment Policy
- Jane Wooster, Science Communication Unit Administrator
- Andreia Jorge PhD aim is to understand how plant diversity communication is performed, both from the institutions’ perspective and communicators’ angle.
- David Judge in collaboration with the Eden Project, working on their current exhibition Invisible Worlds.
- Pedro Larfargue Advanced traceability technologies to improve the supply chain of the multibillion cocoa and chocolate industry.
- Elena Milani Vaccine movements on social media: a visual and network analysis.
- Achintya Rao Exploration of factors that shape attitudes towards outreach within the particle physics research community. Funded by the CERN Doctoral Student Programme.
- Andy Ridgway Exploring ways to change food waste behaviour in family households with children in the UK.
- Laura Fogg-Rogers (completed 2019) Learning from engagement: exploring cultures of science communication at live science events.
- Wilasinee Tryiyarat (completed 2017) Factors affecting engagement with informal science learning in Thailand: A regional perspective. Funded by the Royal Thai Government – Director of Studies: Dr Clare Wilkinson, Second Supervisor: Dr Emma Weitkamp.
- Supara Kamolpattana (completed 2016) Science Museum Explainer Training: Exploring factors that influence visitor-explainer interactions. Funded by the Royal Thai Government – Director of Studies: Dr Clare Wilkinson, Second Supervisor: Professor Neil Willey, Third Supervisor: Dr Karen Bultitude.
- Helena Wythe (completed 2016) Meeting food hygiene challenges in older people: Mobilising health assets for health promotion. Funded by University of the West of England, Bristol – Director of Studies: Dr Emma Weitkamp, Second Supervisor: Professor Judy Orme, Third Supervisor: Dr Clare Wilkinson, Forth Supervisor: Dr Lucy Meredith.
- Ann Grand (completed 2012) Open science and public engagement: Exploring the potential of the open paradigm to support public engagement with science. Funded by EPSRC – Director of Studies: Professor Alan Winfield, Second Supervisor: Dr Clare Wilkinson, Third Supervisor: Dr Karen Bultitude.
- Helen Featherstone (completed 2008) Risk communication of climate change: Stakeholder objectives and public responses – Director of Studies: Dr Emma Weitkamp, Second Supervisor: Professor Frank Burnet, Third Supervisor: Dr Katy Ling.
SCU Associates are colleagues who either engage with us through collaboration or co-delivery of teaching or research projects, or are active in science communication/public engagement, but who have not - to date - collaborated with the SCU.
Our Associate network aims to strengthen academic public engagement across UWE, while recognising and celebrating the invaluable contribution of colleagues who work with the SCU.
- Emmanuel Adukwu, Lecturer in Microbiology
- Dawn Arnold, Professor in Molecular Plant Pathology
- Mandy Bancroft, HLS Faculty Lead for Widening Participation
- Jo Barnes, Research Fellow: Air Quality Management Resource Centre / Programme Leader: MSc Environmental Management
- Steve Battle, Senior Lecturer in Information Science
- Juliet Edmonds, Senior Lecturer in Science
- Mark Everard, Associate Professor of Ecosystem Services
- Bernhard Gross, Associate Professor
- John Hancock, Professor of Cell Signalling
- Enda Hayes, Associate Professor - Air Quality and Carbon Management and Director of the Air Quality Management Resource Centre
- Alison Hooper, Associate Head of Department of EDM
- Ioannis Ieropoulos, Professor - Bioenergy and Self-sustainable Systems
- Matthew Jones, Associate Professor of Public Health
- Fay Lewis, Programme Leader- MA Education
- Debbie Lewis, Molecular Biology/ Immunology Technician
- Patrick O'Flynn, Senior Lecturer in Building Services and Energy Management
- Danni Sinnett, Senior Research Fellow
- Alan Tapp, Professor of Social Marketing