Members of the Science Communication Unit (SCU)
A variety of staff and students work with the SCU on our practical, academic and postgraduate project portfolio.
- Dr Emma Weitkamp, Associate Professor in Science Communication, Co-Director of the Science Communication Unit
- Dr Clare Wilkinson, Associate Professor in Science Communication, Co-Director of the Science Communication Unit
- Dr Kathy Fawcett, Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- Dr Laura Fogg Rogers, Senior Lecturer in STEM Education and Communication
- Andrew Glester, Lecturer in Science Communication
- Dr Hannah Little, Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- Andy Ridgway, Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- Professor Alan Winfield, Professor of Robot Ethics
- Ana Bristow, Communications Project Coordinator for the Digital Engineering Technology Innovation (DETI) Skills Programme
- Dr Louisa Cockbill, Project Coordinator for Curiosity Connections Bristol
- Dr Laura Hobbs, Research Fellow
- Sophie Laggan, Research Associate, citizen empowerment and policy change for urban health and sustainability
- Ruth Larbey, Managing Editor for Science for Environment Policy
- Dr Elena Milani, Research Fellow
- Dr Margarida Sardo, Senior Research Fellow
- Nicky Shale, Science Writer and Communicator
- Carla Smith, Project Editor for Science for Environment Policy
- Josh Warren, Education Coordinator - DETI Inspire
- Jane Wooster, Science Communication Unit Administrator
- Andreia Jorge
Thesis: To understand how plant diversity communication is performed, both from the institutions’ perspective and communicators’ angle.
- David Judge
Thesis: in collaboration with the Eden Project, working on their current exhibition Invisible Worlds.
- Achintya Rao
Thesis title: Exploration of factors that shape attitudes towards outreach within the particle physics research community (funded by the CERN Doctoral Student Programme).
- Andy Ridgway
Thesis title: Exploring ways to change food waste behaviour in family households with children in the UK.
- Pedro Larfargue
Thesis title: Advanced traceability technologies to improve the supply chain of the multibillion cocoa and chocolate industry.
- Elena Milani
Thesis title: Vaccine movements on social media: a visual and network analysis.
- Laura Fogg-Rogers (completed 2019)
Thesis title: Learning from engagement: exploring cultures of science communication at live science events.
- Wilasinee Tryiyarat (completed 2017)
Thesis title: Factors affecting engagement with informal science learning in Thailand: A regional perspective.
Supervisory team: Dr Clare Wilkinson (Director of Studies), Dr Emma Weitkamp.
- Supara Kamolpattana
Thesis title: Science Museum Explainer Training: Exploring factors that influence visitor-explainer interactions.
Supervisory team: Dr Clare Wilkinson (Director of Studies), Professor Neil Willey, Dr Karen Bultitude.
- Helena Wythe
Thesis title: Meeting food hygiene challenges in older people: Mobilising health assets for health promotion.
Supervisory team: Dr Emma Weitkamp (Director of Studies), Professor Judy Orme, Dr Clare Wilkinson, Dr Lucy Meredith.
- Ann Grand
Thesis title: Open science and public engagement: Exploring the potential of the open paradigm to support public engagement with science.
Supervisory team: Professor Alan Winfield (Director of Studies), Dr Clare Wilkinson, Dr Karen Bultitude.
- Helen Featherstone
Risk communication of climate change: Stakeholder objectives and public responses.
Supervisory team: Dr Emma Weitkamp (Director of Studies), Professor Frank Burnet, Dr Katy Ling.