Drugs including alcohol

Support and information around drugs including alcohol.

UWE Bristol does not endorse the use of drugs including alcohol, but we want our students and staff to be safe. We operate a policy of harm reduction that prioritises the welfare and wellbeing of our community.

Read our:


Alcohol is measured in units. A unit of alcohol is equivalent to 10ml of pure alcohol, which is roughly half a pint of normal-strength lager, a small glass of wine or a single measure (25ml) of spirits. There is more information about alcohol units on the NHS website, and a drinks meter is available to help to think about alcohol use and compare consumption to others.

Drinking guidelines is to not exceed 14 units per week. Bear in mind that men and women process alcohol differently. Women produce smaller quantities of an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) (which breaks down alcohol in the body) and have higher levels of body fat and lower levels of body water. This means that women experience higher concentrations of alcohol in their blood when consuming similar amounts to men, and it lasts longer in their systems.

Calculating the number of alcohol units that a drink contains isn’t as simple as you might think, as it can vary a lot between types of drinks and different brands. The BBC Newsbeat's Booze calculator can help calculate your alcohol intake. Similarly, the NHS have launched a free drinks tracker app. You can also access advice on how to drink less.

It’s also recommended that at least two days a week are kept alcohol-free so that the body has a chance to rest and recover.


There’s confidential support and advice for those who use stimulants, psychoactive, alternative, club and experimental drugs through the SPACED website. Combining different drugs creates new compounds, some are more risky than others – Drugs + Me offers an interactive guide around drug combinations.

Wedinos is a harm reduction project which provides an anonymous and free postal drug testing service and publishes sample results on their website. 

Support and advice

If you have any concerns about your own or someone else’s use of drugs including alcohol and would like to talk things through, SPACED offer one-off advice and information sessions as well as ongoing one-to-one support on Frenchay campus or by phone. You just need to call +44 (0)1454 868750 (Freephone 0800 073 3011) and complete a short telephone assessment or alternatively you can email the Wellbeing Service at wellbeing@uwe.ac.uk and request a call back from SPACED.

To have a good understanding of potential impacts of your choices around drugs including alcohol on you, your community or your future, and ways to reduce risks, sign up to a drugs including alcohol awareness session run by SPACED by emailing wellbeing@uwe.ac.uk

Receive personalised feedback on your drug use through the anonymous website Drugs Meter.

Wedinos is a harm reduction project which provides an anonymous and free postal drug testing service and publishes sample results on their website.

Serious concerns

If someone is at immediate risk of serious harm, call 999.

If you have a serious concern about your own or another student’s welfare, please contact the UWE Bristol Serious Concerns Line.

Serious concerns
People working in Onezone on Frenchay Campus.

You may also be interested in