Registering - what you need to do

  1. Step 1

  2. Step 2

  3. Step 3

    Create and enter a password which you can confidently remember, then enter it again in the ‘Confirm password’ field. Tick the box to accept terms and conditions and then click ‘Register’.

  4. Step 4

    Click the link reading ‘Confirm your account’. On the new web page which appears, click ‘log in’.

  5. Step 5

    Then click ‘log in’.

  6. Step 6

  7. Step 7

  8. Step 8

    Personal details (page one)

    Although religion is a required field, you do not have to disclose a religion. You are free to select 'Declines to Disclose', 'None', 'Other' or 'Unknown', according to your preference.

    Contact (page two)

    If you are already in the UK, enter the address at which you are already staying, even if this is temporary (eg a hotel, a friend’s house etc). Otherwise, tick 'Unknown'. Your telephone number in your own country is not a required field.

    Family members (page three)

    Your relationship status is required. However, you do not need to enter the details of your spouse or civil partner if they are not required to register with the police.

    Study details (page four)

    The name of your tutor and your UWE ID number are not required.

    Travel/visa details (page five)

    Your date and port of arrival are not required if you are not yet in the UK. If you don’t have your BRP yet, enter the VAF number which can be found in the upper right part of your vignette (the visa in your passport), just below the ‘Valid until’ date. In the Leave to Remain (Valid Until) field, enter the date your Tier 4 expires based on the full length of your course. This date should appear on both your BRP and the letter you received when your documents were returned to you when your visa was issued

  9. Step 9

You will then be able to book an appointment to visit the police station and complete the process. Appointments are limited, but it does not matter if the date you choose falls after the seven day period, even if it is several months in the future. Completion of the online submission in time is sufficient to meet the seven day requirement. Visit the Avon and Somerset Police website for latest updates and current guidance.

At the appointment you will be asked to pay a fee of £34 in cash. You should also take with you your passport and (if you have it) BRP. You will be given a certificate which you should keep in a safe place with your travel documents. You will need to produce your certificate when you apply for your next visa. Whenever the details recorded on the certificate change, you must inform the police – see Updating below.

*If you live or plan to live outside the Avon and Somerset police force area, visit the Police website and use the 'Find Your Neighbourhood' function to find out which police force you should register with. Follow the link to the relevant force’s website for instructions.


You must report changes to any of the following:

  • your passport
  • your BRP (including replacement of a lost BRP)
  • your visa
  • your name
  • your address (including moving between police force areas)
  • your place of study
  • your relationship status (eg you get married).

Updating is now an online process (even if you did not register online). If you go directly to the police station you will not be seen unless you have first created an account and booked an appointment.

When using the online system for the first time, follow the instructions under Registering above to create an account and book an appointment. If you already have an account, log in and follow the instructions.

There is no charge for updating your details.

If none of your details have changed, there is no need to register online.


You are instructed to register with the police in error (eg yours is not one of the listed nationalities, or your stay in the UK is too short) methods of correcting this error vary according to circumstances, and you should speak to an Immigration Adviser if you wish to do so.

If you choose not to correct the error, you should attempt to register with the police following the instructions above. It is unlikely that the police will allow you to register. In this case, you are advised to retain evidence that you tried to comply with this condition, even though it was given to you incorrectly. For example, you could ask the police to confirm in writing that you tried to register with them. Even if the police will not allow you to register, or confirm this in writing, you are still not obliged to have this error corrected.

You are not instructed to register, but you think you should have been there is no need to register or take action to correct the error. However, we recommend that you register with the police regardless.