Extending your permission as a student

If you need to extend your permission to study at UWE Bristol, here's an overview of what you need to know and your next steps.

Resits, repeat study and visa extensions

If you need to resit or repeat part of your course you may be able to extend your Student/Tier 4 permission.

You should contact a UWE Bristol Immigration Adviser as soon as possible to find out if you are eligible to apply and to discuss your options. The first step will be to request a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). The adviser will tell you how to do this.

As well as getting a new CAS, there are visa requirements to meet as part of the visa extension application process. Some of these are time sensitive, so it's a good idea to talk to us and prepare your documents at least three months before you need to apply.

Applying to extend your visa

Speak to a UWE Bristol Immigration Adviser for advice on extending your visa. View our guide to applying for a visa from inside the UK for an overview of eligibility, supporting evidence and the application process.

Continuing your studies at UWE Bristol

Sometimes, students want to continue their UWE Bristol experience after completing their course. For example, you may decide to study a postgraduate course when you finish your undergraduate degree.

If you do choose to continue your studies with us, we strongly recommend that you contact an Immigration Adviser to find out whether:

  • you must apply for a visa before you start your new course
  • you can apply in the UK.

Because you will be studying a new course, the Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) that you need for your visa application will be sent to you via your UWE Bristol Welcome website. You do not need to submit a CAS request form.

If you are progressing to a further course of study, and late confirmation of your current award may prevent a timely visa application, please contact the Immigration Advice Service about a 'Highly Likely to Complete' letter. To be eligible, you should have passed all your taught modules. The letter is to be used for visa application purposes only, and cannot serve as proof that you meet academic offer conditions.

Applying for a new visa

You do not need to wait to receive a CAS for your main course before you start to prepare your documents for your visa application.

To apply for your visa see our advice on applying for a Student visa inside the UK.