Money and your visa

Information about money and your visa, including how much money you need to have available, what kind of account it needs to be in, and evidence needed. Also find details about financial sponsors, loans and accommodation costs, and 'low-risk nationalities'.

Evidence of funds

You are treated as having met the financial requirements of the Student Visa if you are applying for permission to stay in the UK, having already been in the UK for at least 12 months with valid permission on the date of application. This means you do not need to show evidence of funds.

In all other cases, please follow these instructions (but see also ‘low-risk nationalities’ below).

Available funds

For a student visa, you must have a fixed sum of money available for your living costs. You must also be able to pay your tuition fees. Tuition fees must be for the first year of the course (or the whole course if it is less than a year long).

Funds may be held in any form of personal bank or building society account (including current, deposit, and savings accounts) provided the account allows funds to be accessed immediately.

Evidence of these sums of money must also meet specific requirements, and the immigration rules require that this money must have been held for a specific period.

Money for maintenance funds must be held by you personally or by a parent (see Using parents’ accounts) unless you are applying at the same time as your adult dependant (see Bringing your Family for more information).

You cannot rely on money held by other relatives such as siblings, uncles, aunts and step-parents. Money held by a legal guardian is acceptable only if you can produce a certificate of adoption or court document naming your guardian. You cannot use affidavits in place of official documents proving legal guardianship.

How much money should I have available?

You must show that you can meet both your tuition fees for the first year of your course and living costs of £1,023 per month for the duration of your course up to a maximum of £9,207 (£1,023 x 9 months).

Course lengths are always rounded up. For example, if your course is five months and two weeks long, you must have enough to cover six complete months, plus your tuition fees.

Need help? Our Immigration Advisers are happy to calculate your fixed sum for you.

Because the total consists of living costs and outstanding tuition fees, you can reduce the amount you need to hold in a bank account by paying tuition fees in advance (see pre-paid tuition or accommodation fees below).

If you are using currencies other than £GBP, be aware that exchange rate fluctuations can affect the amount you are deemed to hold. If at all possible, we strongly advise you to deposit more than you need as a ‘buffer’ against unexpected reductions in the value of your currency. The Home Office will use the OANDA website to work out exchange rates, unless your funds are held in Iranian Rials (IRR) or Syrian Pounds (SYP), in which case the consular rate of exchange will be used. 

How long do I need the money available for?

Most students without a financial sponsor will need to show bank statements. The statements must be no more than 31 days old on the date you apply online. The balance – the amount left in the account every time money moves in or out – must not fall below the amount required for a period of 28 consecutive days, up to and including the closing balance (on the day the statement is produced). The total sum must continue to be available to you unless spent on tuition fees or living costs, and you will be asked to confirm this as part of your visa application.

The 28-day rule

The 28-day rule is important. If the amount in your bank account drops below the required amount for as little as one day during the period in question, your application can be refused. For this reason, you are advised to take great care in withdrawing money, or transferring money between accounts, in case the balance is affected.


Bank statements

Bank (and building society) account statements must:

  • be for accounts held in your name or that of your parent(s) (see ‘Using parents’ accounts’ below), unless you are eligible to submit an adult dependant's account
  • include the bank’s name and information about the bank such as contact details or a branch/sort code
  • include the name of the account holder and the account number
  • include the date the statement was produced
  • be supported by a printed currency conversion of the closing balance (if not held in GBP £) using OANDA
  • be translated into English in full if any part of the statement is not in English.

Print-outs of electronic statements are acceptable, providing they contain the above information. There is no need to have these stamped by the bank.

It is acceptable to submit statements for more than one account. The length of time for which funds are held will be calculated by counting back from the date of the most recently dated statement and the statements together must cover the whole period of time for which the funds must be held.

Funds will not be counted if they are held in a financial institution where any of the following apply:

  • UKVI cannot make satisfactory verification checks
  • The financial institution is not regulated by the appropriate regulatory body for where the institution is based
  • The institution does not use electronic record keeping

A UWE Bristol Immigration Adviser would be happy to check your bank statements before you make your online application.

Using parents' accounts

If relying on money held by parents, you must provide (in addition to bank statements which meet the criteria above):

  • evidence of your relationship – that is, an original or notarised copy of a birth certificate*
  • a letter (original, signed and dated) in which your parent acknowledges their relationship to you, and gives their consent for you to use their funds for study.

*Please refer to a UWE Bristol Immigration Adviser if you do not have a birth certificate. UKVI will not accept an affidavit in lieu of a birth or adoption certificate.

Documents other than bank statements

You can use the following documents in support of, and sometimes instead of, bank statements:

  • a letter from your bank, dated no more than 31 days before application, confirming that funds of at least the required amount have been in the relevant account for 28 consecutive days. The letter must be on headed paper, signed by a bank official, and must contain contact details.
  • if you are from certain countries such as China, a certificate of deposit issued no more than 31 days before online application, showing that at least 28 days have passed since the deposit of an amount, which exceeds the required amount. We strongly advise that the bank confirms the funds are available and are not frozen or inaccessible
  • a passbook for a bank or building society, covering a consecutive 28-day period ending no more than 31 days before online visa application, showing that funds of at least the required amount have been present continuously in the relevant account.

All criteria under bank statements must be met for all documents submitted.

Official financial sponsor

An official financial sponsor can be one of the following:

  • the government of the UK or national government of your own country
  • the British Council
  • an international organisation or international company*
  • a university or UK independent school.

If your tuition fees and living costs are met in full by an official financial sponsor you do not need to provide the type of financial evidence (bank statements etc) described above. Instead, you must provide a letter from the sponsor which:

  • clearly shows your name
  • clearly shows the date of the letter
  • gives the name and contact details of the sponsor
  • states the duration of the sponsorship
  • states either the amount of the money the sponsor is giving to you or that the sponsor will meet all of your tuition fees and living costs.

If your sponsorship does not meet the amount needed (see ‘How much money do I need?’), you must make up the difference and provide evidence in the form of bank statements etc.

*There is no definition in the rules of an international company, but decision makers will check the letterhead of correspondence and conduct a web search to establish whether a company has a presence in more than one country. If there is likely to be any doubt, we advise you to submit additional evidence showing that your sponsor has offices in more than one country.

If you are receiving official financial sponsorship from UWE Bristol, details will appear on your CAS and you are not required to provide a separate letter.

Using loans to pay for studies

You can use a loan for a student visa application only if it is provided by a government, or a government-sponsored student loan company, or if it is part of an academic or educational loans scheme which is provided by a financial institution regulated for the purpose of issuing student loans by the official regulatory body for the country the institution is in and where the money is held. The loan must be in your name alone.

The document which confirms your loan must:

  • be dated no more than six months before visa application
  • state your name and the date of the letter
  • confirm the loan is a student loan provided by either the relevant government or a government sponsored student loan company or an academic or educational loans scheme
  • state the amount available as a loan
  • show that the loan will be available to you before you travel to the UK (if applying overseas)*
  • not contain conditions placed upon release of the loan other than successful visa application
  • appear on official stationery.

*If the loan is approved by your national government for the purpose of study, release of the funds can be withheld until after you arrive in the UK. If the loan is paid directly to UWE Bristol before you travel, the living costs element can be made available by the time you arrive in the UK.

Pre-paid tuition or accommodation fees

Tuition fees

Tuition fees which have already been paid will be deducted from the relevant fixed sum. The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) must state the amount of fees which has been paid, or you must present receipts. The only exception to this occurs when you have an official financial sponsor (see Official Financial Sponsors, above). If payment of tuition fees is not demonstrated using the CAS or receipts, you must show that you can pay your tuition fees whether they have been paid or not.

Accommodation fees

Accommodation fees up to a maximum of £1,334 can also be deducted from the relevant fixed sum. The accommodation fees should have been paid to UWE Bristol (not to a third party) and, as with tuition fees, this amount will not be deducted unless the CAS explicitly states that accommodation costs have been paid, or you can produce receipts.

Low-risk nationalities

Nationals of some countries do not need to provide evidence of their qualifications or their money when they apply for a student visa. Visit the website to find out if you are a low-risk national. In UKVI terminology, applications from low risk nationals are considered 'under differentiation arrangements'.

It is important that as a 'low risk' student you still obtain the evidence of your qualifications and your money, even though you do not need to send them. This is because the Home Office can request this evidence as part of their decision process and they will refuse your application if you are unable to provide it within a specified time.

You are a 'low risk' student if you are applying for a student visa and:

  • you are a national of Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, The Dominican Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, or
  • you hold a Hong Kong SAR*, Macau SAR or a British National (Overseas) passport, or
  • you hold a Taiwan (ROC) passport* with a residence card number.

*On the application form, select 'Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China' or 'Taiwan' (as appropriate) as your nationality.