Visa documentation

Here you can find out more about the documents you'll need to apply for your student visa. The links provide a shortcut to the information most relevant to you.

Documents needed to apply

Passports  Current and valid, and any old passports which are no longer valid with previous UK visas. 
Biometric information You will need to provide biometric information as part of your application process in order to obtain your Biometric Residence Permit.
Evidence of sufficient funding See our Money and your visa web page for further information.
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement The Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement confirms that an institution is willing to act as your educational sponsor.
Police Registration Certificate This is only needed if you are applying in the UK and only if your current or most recent immigration permission has a condition to register with the police. For more information see Responsibility for your Tier 4 visa web page.
A valid ATAS certificate Only Tier 4 (General) visa students undertaking postgraduate level study in certain areas will need an ATAS certificate.
Debit/credit card Make sure you have enough funds in your account to pay for the application.
Medical certificate Students from some countries are required to provide a medical certificate confirming that they are clear of tuberculosis if they are coming to the UK for more than six months. See an overview of the health requirements on the GOV.UK website.

English language assessment

Depending on the level of your course and your nationality, your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) may confirm how UWE Bristol assessed your English language ability and the level of ability that you have obtained in reading, writing, speaking and listening. If your CAS lists you as needing a Secure English Language Test (SELT) you will need to provide your unique SELT reference number for the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to validate.

See our English language requirements for more detail. If you intend to study at UWE Bristol's International College please visit their website.

Documents that are not in English

If your application includes any documents which are not in English, you must also include an original translation of each document. Each translation must contain:

  • confirmation from the translator or translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document
  • the date of the translation
  • the full name and original signature of the translator, or of an authorised official of the translation company
  • the contact details of the translator or translation company
  • if you are already in the UK and are applying for further leave, you'll need to provide certification by a qualified translator and details of the translator or translation company’s credentials.

If you are in Bristol, our Immigration Advisers can provide details of local translation services.

Additional documents for under 18 year olds

If you are under 18 years old and applying for a Tier 4 (General) student visa you must only apply as Tier 4 (General) student. The University does not sponsor Tier 4 child applicants.

As well as the standard documents mentioned above, you'll also need a letter from your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) that confirms the following:

  • the relationship between the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and the child
  • that the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) consent to the application
  • that the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) consent to the child’s living arrangements in the UK, and
  • be signed by both parent(s) or legal guardian(s), or just one parent or guardian if they have sole responsibility for the child. If a parent or legal guardian has sole responsibility for the child, the letter must also confirm that each parent or legal guardian agrees to the contents of the letter, and be signed by both parties.

You must also provide evidence of your relationship, usually a birth certificate or certificate of adoption.

If you have applied for a Tier 4 (General) visa but you have been issued with a Tier 4 Child this will need correction either before you travel to the UK or if you are in the UK the University's immigration team can help you correct this.

Applications by 'low risk' students

Nationals of some countries do not need to provide evidence of their qualifications or their money when they apply for Tier 4 (General).

It is very important that as a 'low risk' student you still obtain the evidence of your qualifications and your money, even though you do not need to send them. This is because the Home Office can request this evidence as part of their decision process and they will refuse your application if you are unable to provide it within a specified timeframe.

What is a 'low risk' student?

You are a 'low risk' student if you are applying for Tier 4 (General) visa and:

  • you are a national of Australia, Bahrain, Barbados, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, The Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, New Zealand, Oman, Peru, Qatar, Serbia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, United States of America; or
  • you hold a Hong Kong SAR*, Macau SAR or a British National (Overseas) passport and you are applying for entry clearance in Hong Kong, or for leave to remain in the UK; or
  • you hold a Taiwan (ROC) passport* with a residence card number, and you are applying for entry clearance in Taiwan, or for leave to remain in the UK.

*On the application form, select 'Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China' or 'Taiwan' (as appropriate) as your nationality.

What about dual nationalities?

If you are a dual national, and only one of your nationalities is listed above, you will be able to apply as a low-risk national provided you are applying either for entry clearance in the country or territory where you live or for leave to remain in the UK.