International student payments
Information on how to pay tuition fees (including deposit) for international students.
Notification of outstanding fees
New and returning international students will be advised of outstanding fees as follows:
- undergraduates will be able to view the outstanding tuition fee amount through the 'Registration' tab in myUWE
- postgraduates will receive an invoice via their UWE Bristol Live Mail to advise them of the outstanding tuition fee amount.
Tuition fee deposit for new students
In order to secure your place at the University and to receive your Confirmation of Acceptance to Study letter (CAS), which enables you to apply for your visa, you will need to pay the minimum deposit amount of £3,000*.
We accept a number of different payment methods including:
- Flywire (our preferred method of payment)
- credit or debit card payments
- cheque or bankers draft
- online payment
In all payments it is important to note that the reference number should be your student ID and family name ie 123456789 Smith. Failure to transfer funds with the appropriate information may result in a delay to your student account being credited.
*If you are a Government sponsored student, are sponsored by an International Scholarship Agency or have applied for a US Federal Loan, you are not required to pay a tuition fee deposit and your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement will be issued via your Welcome website.
Please note: the international tuition fee deposit is non-refundable except in certain circumstances. View further information regarding the refund policy for international deposits.
How to pay
International Funds Transfer (Flywire)
Flywire is our official payment partner. Pay your tuition and/or your accommodation fees (deposit or in full) by International Funds Transfer (Flywire) direct to our bank. This is our recommended and preferred method of payment.
UWE Bristol has negotiated very competitive exchange rates through this particular Foreign Exchange company, offering you exchange rates that are unlikely to be matched by traditional banks.
Why use this service?
- Eliminate hidden bank fees - ensure the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) receives the correct amount.
- Save on exchange rates - in most cases, you can make a payment in your home currency. Flywire will process the currency exchange - offering you wholesale exchange rates, unmatched by traditional banks as part of their Best Rate Guarantee.
- Peace of mind - 24-hour multilingual customer support when you need it most. Know where your payment is throughout the process.
What you need
- To have been offered and accepted a place at UWE Bristol
- A valid UWE Bristol applicant ID (Welcome ID)
- A breakdown of the fees you wish to transfer.
How does it work?
- Go to Flywire - UWE student fees, enter the amounts in GBP that you wish to transfer and select the country you are paying from and the payment type you wish to use. This will be a competitive exchange rate as part of Flywire's Best Rate Guarantee and will, therefore, result in a lower cost to you in your local currency. Complete the rest of the registration details. Please note: not all currencies are available, so an alternative currency may be offered (Euro, US Dollars or Great British Pounds).
- Complete the payment transaction by entering your card details or printing the confirmation advice and taking it to your local bank. Or, complete an online bank transfer (if you have access to online banking) in your local currency to the bank details provided on the payment instructions.
- Payment confirmation will be emailed to you. You can also track the progress of your payment via an optional SMS service and a progress bar in your Flywire account.
To make a payment please visit Flywire - UWE student fees.
Visit Flywire's FAQ (frequently asked questions) section if you have any queries.
Please note: if you have previously registered to use our former International Funds Transfer partner, Edustep/Pay to Study, and would like to continue to use this service then please complete your payment at UWE Student Fees.
Direct debit, credit or debit card
You can pay the remaining balance of your tuition fees (after paying your deposit) by direct debit*, credit card or debit card.
Undergraduate students can:
- pay via the 'Registration' tab in myUWE.
Postgraduate students can:
Pay through the University's online payment facility using the following methods of payment:
*only available from UK bank accounts.
Cheque or bankers draft – drawn on a UK bank
Made payable to 'UWE, Bristol'. You must complete the Cheque Payment Form (PDF).
Student fees should not be settled by direct bank transfer. Please use our secure online payment facilities as detailed below:
- Pay via MyUWE (current students only)
- Pay via the UWE online payment system (on behalf of students).
How to avoid fraud
Please be aware that online and telephone financial fraud is on the rise. Often fraudsters will offer significant discounts, incentives, or attractive exchange rates. Please remember that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
Tuition fees for international students should always be paid directly to the University by the student or a family member – there is no scenario in which you should need to pay via a third party. Please see above for our approved options to make safe fee payments to the university.
Making payments in any way other than the university's recommended payment methods may result in a loss of funds.
Please watch out for adverts or messages on social platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram or WeChat, and never agree to pay someone large sums of money in cash. Likewise, you should never share your bank details with or transfer money to someone you do not know.
For further guidance please see the action fraud website.
Paying in instalments
We offer a direct debit instalment plan over a three-month or six-month period.
Setting up an instalment plan
If you wish to pay in instalments it must be done via direct debit (UK bank account only). The invoice is split equally over the months with payment collected on the first of each month. The maximum number of instalments is six months.
You can set the direct debit up through your registration portal or our online payment facility.
The mandate is a blank mandate, so the value should remain at zero. Once you have completed it, you will receive a confirmation email and then once your invoice has been raised (once you have completed registration) you will receive an email confirming the payment dates and amounts. The direct debit will default to the six-month plan, so if you wish to opt for the three-month plan, please let us know.
The three-month plan runs from November 2020 to January 2021 and the six-month plan runs from November 2020 to April 2021. All fees are due in full by 1 April.
The three-month plan runs from March 2021 to May 2021 and the six-month plan runs from March 2021 to August 2021. All fees are due in full by 1 August.
If you're receiving postgraduate finance
If you’re receiving postgraduate student finance you can set up a direct debit up either through your myUWE portal or our online payment facility. Then send in your student finance loan approval and payment schedule to email@example.com so that your payment schedule can be set in accordance with your loan payments.
If your direct debit fails
If we have been unable to collect your direct debit on the specified date we will automatically attempt a second collection 14 days later. If you wish to pay before this date you may do so using a debit/credit card online through your myUWE portal, which will automatically cancel out the second collection. This must be done three working days before the second collection attempt. If the second collection fails you will become a debtor and will be contacted by our Credit Control Department for payment.
Invoices and receipts
If you believe your invoice amount is wrong or a scholarship/discount hasn’t been applied you will need to contact the Student Administration Team for your faculty.
- Faculty of Business and Law at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty of Environment and Technology at email@example.com
- Faculty of Health and Applied Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty of Arts, Creative Industries and Education at email@example.com
If your invoice is for the full amount but you have paid a deposit there is no need to do anything. The invoice is for the full amount of the fees as this is what your course costs, however, you will only be expected to pay the remaining balance, and this will be reflected on your myUWE portal.
Paying without an invoice
In your myUWE portal, payments tab, you can select “pay on account” which will allow you to pay any amount that you require. This will then be allocated as a credit to your account and we will match it to your invoice accordingly once it has been raised. Please also send an email to our Credit Control department explaining what the payment is for and to ensure they don’t issue a refund on it. Their email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unfortunately, we can only provide a tuition fee receipt once the tuition fee has been paid in full, as we do not have the capacity to provide receipts for individual payments. If the payment was made online, the person who made the payment will have received an automatic receipt via email. Direct debit payments will show on your bank account as evidence of payment.
Your accommodation deposit should have been made online, in which case you (or the person making the payment) will have received an automatic receipt via email. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to provide a receipt in any other format.
Contact the Income Office
The Income Office is currently open for appointments only Monday to Friday between 10:00–15:00. Appointments can be made via InfoHub (login required).
University of the West of England
Bristol BS16 1QY
Tel: +44 (0)117 32 87888 (open during office hours)
Contact us by email
- For queries relating to setting up direct debits online and for payment related queries, email us quoting your student number at email@example.com.
For security reasons please do not quote your credit/debit card number or bank details in an email.
- For queries relating to an outstanding balance to the University, if you are unable to pay for your fees or if you are due a refund email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.