International student payments
Information on how to pay tuition fees (including deposit) for international students.
Notification of outstanding fees
New and returning international students will be advised of outstanding fees as follows:
- undergraduates will be able to view the outstanding tuition fee amount through the 'Registration' tab in myUWE
- postgraduates will receive an invoice via their UWE Bristol Live Mail to advise them of the outstanding tuition fee amount.
Tuition fee deposit for new students
In order to secure your place at the University and to receive your Confirmation of Acceptance to Study letter (CAS), which enables you to apply for your visa, you will need to pay the minimum deposit amount of £3,000*.
We accept a number of different payment methods including:
- Flywire (our preferred method of payment)
- credit or debit card payments
- cheque or bankers draft
- online payment
- bank transfer (please email email@example.com if you would like to request our bank details).
In all payments it is important to note that the reference number should be your student ID and family name ie 123456789 Smith. Failure to transfer funds with the appropriate information may result in a delay to your student account being credited.
*If you are a Government sponsored student, are sponsored by an International Scholarship Agency or have applied for a US Federal Loan, you are not required to pay a tuition fee deposit and your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement will be issued via your Welcome website.
Please note: The international tuition fee deposit is non-refundable except in certain circumstances. View further information regarding the refund policy for international deposits.
How to pay
International Funds Transfer (Flywire)
Flywire is our official payment partner. Pay your tuition and/or your accommodation fees (deposit or in full) by International Funds Transfer (Flywire) direct to our bank. This is our recommended and preferred method of payment.
UWE Bristol has negotiated very competitive exchange rates through this particular Foreign Exchange company, offering you exchange rates that are unlikely to be matched by traditional banks.
Why use this service?
- Eliminate hidden bank fees – ensure the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) receives the correct amount.
- Save on exchange rates – in most cases, you can make a payment in your home currency. Flywire will process the currency exchange – offering you wholesale exchange rates, unmatched by traditional banks as part of their Best Rate Guarantee.
- Peace of mind – 24-hour multilingual customer support when you need it most. Know where your payment is throughout the process.
What you need
- To have been offered and accepted a place at UWE Bristol
- A valid UWE Bristol applicant ID (Welcome ID)
- A breakdown of the fees you wish to transfer.
How does it work?
- Go to Flywire – UWE student fees, enter the amounts in GBP that you wish to transfer and select the country you are paying from and the payment type you wish to use. This will be a competitive exchange rate as part of Flywire’s Best Rate Guarantee and will, therefore, result in a lower cost to you in your local currency. Complete the rest of the registration details. Please note: Not all currencies are available, so an alternative currency may be offered (Euro, US Dollars or Great British Pounds).
- Complete the payment transaction by entering your card details or printing the confirmation advice and taking it to your local bank. Or, complete an online bank transfer (if you have access to online banking) in your local currency to the bank details provided on the payment instructions.
- Payment confirmation will be emailed to you. You can also track the progress of your payment via an optional SMS service and a progress bar in your Flywire account.
To make a payment please visit Flywire – UWE student fees.
Visit Flywire's FAQ (frequently asked questions) section if you have any queries.
Please note: If you have previously registered to use our former International Funds Transfer partner, Edustep/Pay to Study, and would like to continue to use this service then please complete your payment at UWE Student Fees.
Direct debit, credit or debit card
You can pay the remaining balance of your tuition fees (after paying your deposit) by direct debit*, credit card or debit card.
Undergraduate students can:
- pay via the 'Registration' tab in myUWE.
Postgraduate students can:
Pay through the University's online payment facility using the following methods of payment:
*only available from UK bank accounts.
Cheque or bankers draft – drawn on a UK bank
Made payable to 'UWE, Bristol'. You must complete the Cheque Payment Form.
Student fees should not be settled by direct bank transfer. Please use our secure online payment facilities as detailed below:
- Pay via MyUWE (current students only)
- Pay via the UWE online payment system (on behalf of students).
However, if for any reason you are unable to use either of the facilities above then please call the Income Office on +44(0)117 3287888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to avoid fraud
Please be aware that online and telephone financial fraud is on the rise. Often fraudsters will offer significant discounts, incentives, or attractive exchange rates. Please remember that if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
Tuition fees for international students should always be paid directly to the University by the student or a family member – there is no scenario in which you should need to pay via a third party. Please see above for our approved options to make safe fee payments to the university.
Making payments in any way other than the university's recommended payment methods may result in a loss of funds.
Please watch out for adverts or messages on social platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram or WeChat, and never agree to pay someone large sums of money in cash. Likewise, you should never share your bank details with or transfer money to someone you do not know.
For further guidance please see the action fraud website.