Definitions for determining tuition fee status

Important information for new students starting from Autumn 2021 onwards

The details below cover the existing rules. We are awaiting amendments to the fee regulations for autumn 2021 onwards. This will affect many of the current categories, especially the EU-related ones. Fee status and funding entitlements can be complex. For what is known currently about the changes due to affect those commencing study in autumn 2021, please see:

What is fee status?

The tuition fees for which you are liable and the financial support available to you depend upon the programme of study that you follow and whether you are classed as a home (UK) student, European Union (EU) student, offshore student or international student.

If you are a home (UK) or EU undergraduate student and already hold a higher education qualification, you may not be eligible for any funding unless you are applying for a healthcare course such as Nursing or Midwifery. Please refer to the fees and funding information for undergraduate students who already hold a HE qualification.

UK (home) students

UK students are defined as those who, on the first day of the academic year in which the course starts (1 September for courses starting in the autumn and 1 January for those starting in the spring):

  • have 'settled status' in the UK. 'Settled status' means having no restriction on length of stay in the UK. To be settled you must either have the 'Right of Abode' or Indefinite Leave to Enter or Remain in the UK or have the right of permanent residence in the UK. If your passport describes you as a British Citizen, then you have the Right of Abode. EU nationals other than those from the UK do not have 'settled status' unless they have applied for and been granted 'Indefinite Leave to Remain', regardless of the length of their stay in the UK.


  • are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK. People whose main home is in the UK are considered to be 'ordinarily resident' even if they have been temporarily absent for a (possibly lengthy) period of time.


  • have been 'ordinarily resident' in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for three preceding years, but not wholly or mainly for the purposes of receiving full-time education.

In addition to the above category, there are other ways that you can be allocated UK-resident home fee status:

  • Refugees granted Indefinite Leave to Remain, people who have been granted 'Humanitarian Protection' as a result of an application for asylum. The spouse, civil partner, and sometimes the children of this group may also be eligible.
  • European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss national 'migrant workers', their spouses, civil partner and children and other relevant family members. This means EEA and Swiss nationals who are staying in the UK in order to work or seek work.
  • EU nationals who previously lived in the EEA and came to live in the UK for three or more years before the first day of the first year that the course starts.
  • Long Residence: On the first day of the first academic year of the course, you must either be under the age of 18 and have lived in the UK for the past seven years, or over the age of 18, and have lived in the UK for either half of your life or a period of 20 years. For the past three years, you must be ordinarily resident in England or the UK.
  • Those granted stateless leave commencing a course on/after 1 August 2018. The spouse, civil partner, and sometimes the children of this group may also be eligible.
  • Those granted section 67 leave commencing a course on/after 1 August 2019. The child of a person with section 67 leave may also be eligible.
  • Those granted indefinite leave as a victim of domestic violence or abuse commencing a course on/after 1 August 2020. 
  • Those granted Calais Leave commencing a course on/after 1 August 2020.

This list is not exhaustive and this is a complex area. See the tuition fee information on the UKCISA website if you require further guidance.

UK full-time and sandwich students living abroad at the time of application

If you applied for a place at UWE Bristol while you were living abroad temporarily, please make sure you apply to Student Finance for assessment as a home student for UK government-funded student support.

European (EU) students

EU students are EU nationals or the children of EU nationals who have lived in the European Economic Area for the past three years and have not been resident wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

Offshore students

Offshore students are those who meet the 'ordinarily resident' criteria in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. Relocation to the UK mainland solely for the purpose of study is not sufficient to change the classification of 'offshore student'.

International students

Students who do not satisfy any of the above are classed as international students. This list is not exhaustive and this is a complex area. If you think  your fee status is incorrect and you should be assessed as a home (UK) student, please email You may be asked for further evidence.

Supporting evidence could include:

  • relevant endorsements in your passport relating to your immigration status
  • date of arrival in the EU or the UK
  • permitted length of stay (please ensure that you send a photocopy of the relevant page of your passport and in addition, the pages containing your personal details)
  • documents issued by the Home Office relating to your immigration status/details and places of residence over the past ten years.

It is important that you provide as much information as possible to enable us to make a correct fee assessment.

A fee status questionnaire will be sent to you via your welcome portal once you have submitted an application, and this will be used to determine your fee status.