About the academic appeals process

Information on eligibility for making an academic appeal.

Eligibility for appeal

The academic appeals process can only be used in relation to an academic result awarded by an examining board, and only once the official results have been published – see the publication dates.

If your circumstances relate to an academic result award, you can find out more about submitting an appeal.

The grounds on which you can appeal, as set out in the Academic Appeals Policy, are limited to instances where there has been material and significant administrative error or other material irregularity – such that the assessments were not conducted in accordance with the approved regulations for the module/award, ie instances where you believe the University has done something wrong.

These could include:

  • marks that have been recorded wrongly
  • assessments not conducted or calculated in the way described in the module specification or guide
  • lack of agreed reasonable adjustments
  • a rejected application for personal circumstances which you feel has not been considered properly.

You cannot use the appeal procedure to:

Personal circumstances are significant personal difficulties or circumstances which impact on your ability to complete, submit or attend a specific assessment, and are significantly disruptive matters outside of your control).

  • complain retrospectively about dissatisfaction with teaching or service-related provision, including supervision.

You need to use the University’s Complaints Procedure to raise issues at the time they are occurring so that the University has the opportunity to put measures in place.

  • complain about a mark or other properly exercised academic judgement, simply because you have worked hard and feel you deserve better.

'Academic Judgement' is a judgement that is made about a matter where only the opinion of an academic expert is sufficient.

  • appeal an admissions decision.

If your appeal relates to a decision regarding an application to study at UWE Bristol, you are required to submit the application to the Head of Admissions as per our Admissions Policy.

  • appeal a decision to withdraw sponsorship if you are an international student.

If your appeal relates to a decision regarding the withdrawal of sponsorship to study at the University, you are required to submit the application to the Student Casework Team Manager.

  • appeal in relation to the Student Conduct/Professional Suitability Policy and Procedure.

If your appeal relates to a sanction imposed by the Student Conduct Policy, the Fitness to Study Policy or by the Professional Suitability Policy and Procedure, the appeal should be made in writing and sent directly to the Student Casework Team Manager.

Appointing someone to act on your behalf

It is preferable for you to handle your application for an appeal yourself but, if you are not able to do so, you may appoint a third party to act as your agent or representative.

To submit an appeal application with someone acting on your behalf you must:

  • complete a Third Party Consent form, ensuring the required information is included. The original copy of this form will need to be posted to the Student Casework Team at the address below along with the Nominee Application form. Both forms must be received within ten working days from the official publication date of your results.

The Nominee Application Form can be completed electronically but must be printed and signed and forwarded to:

Student Casework Team
Student and Academic Services
Frenchay Campus
Coldharbour Lane
Bristol, BS16 1QY.

You will need to brief your representative, and it is their responsibility to keep you fully informed. The Student Casework Team must have the written authorisation to communicate with someone on your behalf and will liaise solely with your designated representative. The team will not correspond with both the representative and the student.

Once the application has been processed, the nominee will be sent an acknowledgement email with a copy of the appeal form. They must check the copy of the application and save a copy for their records.

Helpful documents

Resources to support you with making an appeal:

Next steps

If you wish to make an appeal please find out more about submitting an appeal.