Postgraduate research Graduation Ceremonies
Requirements for attendanceThe University holds two Graduation Ceremonies per year in July and November. Before you can attend a Graduation Ceremony, you must have:
- had the outcome of your viva voce confirmed by a previous Award Board
- had any amendments approved by the relevant examiners
- uploaded the final version of your thesis to the UWE Bristol Research Repository once permission has been granted by the PGR Assessments Manager
- had your thesis made live on the UWE Bristol Research Repository
- submitted a completed RD15 to the firstname.lastname@example.org
- submitted the relevant synopsis information (see below) to email@example.com by the relevant Award Board deadline:
- If your award has been confirmed at or before the February meeting of the Taught and Research Degrees Award Board (RDAB) you may be eligible to attend the July (or a later) ceremony.
- If your award has been confirmed at or before the September meeting of the Taught and Research Degrees Award Board (RDAB) you may be eligible to attend a November (or a later) ceremony.
The Award Board will then consider approving the completion of the award. Before an award can be granted, you are required to fulfil all requirements of the Academic Regulations.
Register for a Graduation Ceremony
Our guide to Graduation Ceremonies includes information on when you will be sent an invitation, registration, robe hire and how to request a letter supporting a visa application.Graduation Ceremonies
Synopses of research
The synopses are only required if you are attending a Graduation Ceremony. You should agree the wording with your Director of Studies before submitting it as instructed by the deadline detailed above. Your full synopses will consist of:
- your full name
- your degree to be awarded eg, Doctor of Philosophy, Professional Doctorate in..., Master of Philosophy, Doctor of Philosophy by Publication, Master of Philosophy by Publication
- the thesis title of your research
- a maximum of a 250-word synopsis of the research for inclusion in the Graduation Ceremony programme
- a maximum of a 50-word synopsis about the research to be read at the Graduation Ceremony.
You are strongly advised not to book any travel to a Graduation Ceremony until the award has been made by the Award Board. You cannot graduate at a Graduation Ceremony without the approval of an Award Board.
Members of staff
UWE Bristol staff with permanent contracts undertaking a research degree must register to attend through the standard invitation email. This applies even if you they have registered to attend a ceremony as a staff member. You should also contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange robe hire. All other information above still stands.