Coronavirus information for international students

Student at airport

Travel to the UK

Students must follow the law on international travel. 

The rules for international travel to England have changed to a single red list of countries and simplified travel measures for arrivals from the rest of the world.

The rules for travel from countries and territories not on the red list will depend on your vaccination status.

All of the information about what you need to do to enter the UK, including what vaccines are accepted, can be found on the UK government website.

If you are travelling from a red list country you will need to book a quarantine hotel package and two COVID-19 tests.

All international arrivals will need to complete a passenger locator form before arriving in England.

UK government travel information

Airport transfers

Information about our airport transfers and travel to the UWE Bristol campus for international and EU students.

More about airport transfers
Student looks at departures information for their flight

Vaccinations and isolation

Self-isolation on arrival is dependent on the country you are travelling from in line with the governments latest travel regulations. Further information on this is available on the UK government website.

We understand that you might have lots of questions about self-isolation, so we’ve put together some helpful advice on what to do and how to access support if you or a flatmate is self-isolating. Please refer to self-isolation in accommodation.

Ending self-isolation early

If you are required to self-isolate on arrival in the UK then you can register for the Test to Release for International Travel scheme on your Passenger Locator Form (PLF). You cannot take part in the scheme if you have been in or through a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England.

Under the scheme you can choose to pay for a private COVID-19 test. If the result is negative (and the result of your day two test result was negative or inconclusive) you can end your quarantine. The earliest you can take the test is five full days after your arrival. The scheme is voluntary and applies to those self-isolating in England only.

If you choose Test to Release, you must still book and take your two compulsory travel tests. You can book Test to Release at the same time as your compulsory tests.

If you do not want to opt into the Test to Release scheme, you will need to self-isolate until ten full days have passed.

If you are staying in UWE Bristol accommodation, you will need to email a copy of your test result in order to end your self-isolation period early.


All international students studying at UWE Bristol will be entitled to a free COVID-19 vaccination here in the UK.

While registration with a GP (doctor) is encouraged to access the vaccine, individuals can request to book COVID-19 vaccination appointments as an unregistered patient through a local GP practice. If you have registered with a GP then you will receive a letter from them about your vaccination. Further information can be found on the NHS COVID-19 pages.

If you have already received your first dose of your COVID-19 vaccination, you will be eligible to receive your second dose in England. The government do not advise on a particular vaccine and you should seek advice in your home country as to which one would be most appropriate to you if you plan to get vaccinated before you travel.

Further information and FAQs with regards to international students and COVID-19 vaccinations can be found on the UKCISA website.

Living in the UK

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

The Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is a residence permit which holds biographic details (name, date and place of birth) and biometric information (facial image and fingerprints), and shows your immigration status and entitlements while you are in the UK.

Find out more about Biometric Residence Permits, how to get one and how to replace it if is lost or stolen.

When you arrive in the UK you will not be penalised for being unable to collect your BRP while coronavirus measures are in place. If you are self-isolating you can pick your BRP up afterwards from the University.

Visas and Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

To apply for a Student visa you will need a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. The CAS is a virtual document that confirms that an institution is willing to act as your educational sponsor.

Please contact for support with organising your CAS and visa documentation.

Contact us

If you have any questions we're here to help, please complete our enquiry form or get in touch via live chat.

You can also email us at or contact us by telephone on +44 (0)117 32 86644.