Part-time work

Working during your studies

The level of student funding means that most students will work at some point during their studies. There is often no alternative way of making ends meet.

Working hours

If you are a full-time student you may find your studies suffer if you work more than 16 hours a week.

Income Tax and National Insurance contributions

Students in the UK are liable to pay Income Tax and National Insurance contributions on their earnings just like everyone else.

Do check that the deductions from your wages are correct, especially if you have more than one job. For information on tax and National Insurance contributions, including a tax calculator, visit the HMRC site for student tax advice.

Work arrangements for EU and International students 

If you require a Tier 4 (General) visa to study, there are restrictions on both the number of hours you can work and on the type of work. It is a criminal offence to break these rules. It is important to check the restrictions on work before you start working.

Student Eden smiling at the camera.

"Another obvious way to save money is to work. The University and shopping areas always have jobs available! There are direct bus services from Frenchay campus to both Cabot Circus and Cribbs Causeway. "

Eden, BSc(Hons) Architecture

Eden BSc(Hons) Architecture

You may also be interested in