ECRG Equity in Education Strand Research Seminar
Organised by the Education and Childhood Research Group (ECRG).See all events
About the event
Title: Class, `Race’ and Inequality - a Marxist social, political and academic autobiography.
- Abstract: In this presentation, I talk firstly about my family and social class background; immigrant descended awareness: education/ schooling and work and growing anger and awareness of inequalities my family faced in poverty. I talk secondly about my development as a social and economic Marxist academic activist, in particular regarding social class, `race’ and capitalism. I review my publications/ activism which prioritise and emphasise social class analysis vis a vis identitarianism and intersectionality, and which advance calls for reform and revolution.
- Keywords: class, ‘race’, inequality, anger Marxism.
Title: Haunting questions: Why still no multilingual pedagogy in schools?
- Abstract: The capacity to live with linguistic difference with respect, to recognise its power for learning, is one of the coming questions of the 21st century. It is a question that has haunted me for decades and the answers that have been put forward have presented some solutions, and yet the green shoots of progress, have all but been weeded out by now. The main question remains urgent, as ‘monolingualism is the illiteracy of the 21st Century’ (British Academy, 2019). Here I focus on four sets of ideas that frame the rationale for multilingual pedagogy:
1) Linguistic Human Rights
2) Linguistic Citizenship
4) Translanguaging for learning.
- Keywords: Multilingualism, linguicism, epistemicide, pedagogies.
All welcome, please register your attendance for refreshments.
- Cost: Free
- Attendance: Booking required