Enquirer Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice informs you about how the University receives and uses personal data that you and/or a third party such as your School or College provide to us for the purpose of participating in/attending Recruitment and Outreach activities with/by UWE Bristol. Your personal information will be processed by the University in accordance with the provisions and principles of the General Data Protection Regulation as enacted and amended by UK legislation. We will hold your data securely and not make it available to any third party unless permitted or required to do so by law. If you have applied to study at UWE Bristol please see our Admissions Privacy Notice.
Why do we use your personal information
We would like to process your personal data because,
- it is necessary for us to carry out the Public Task of Widening Participation into Higher Education
- it is necessary for the performance of our tasks carried out for a Legitimate Interest., such as administering events
We will also ask for your Consent to track you for a longer period of time to help us evaluate the success of the event/ activity and assist in future planning. If we ask for any special categories of information e.g. ethnicity, we will also ask for your consent.
The University requires and uses your personal data for event planning and delivery to assist in outreach activities aiming to raising aspirations, attainment, improving social mobility and student recruitment to the University’s programmes of study. In this respect, we use your personal data for the following:
- To deliver the event and provide you with the best visitor experience.
- If any Access needs are shared with us, we might communicate with you prior to an event to make sure that your Access needs will be met.
- Making sure that you have the most up-to-date and accurate information about the event that you have registered to attend. We might also send you follow up communication after your event.
- Invite to subsequent/ related events
- To monitor the success of applicants attending events
- To track and evaluate the success of the event/ activity and to assist in future planning.
If you are under 13 years of age you must have parental/guardian consent to disclose personal information.
What information do we collect
The University may request the following personal data from you: name, year group, email address, phone number, name of School or College, address of School or College, gender, ethnic group, postcode, access needs and any other personal data submitted in feedback relating to your experience of an event or activity.
For Professional Staff, we would ask for your name, email address, phone number, Institution/ Organisation name, Job Title, subject area and date of the event you are interested in.
Please tell us promptly about any changes to the information we hold about you. This is particularly important for your contact details.
How we collect your information
We may collect your personal data in a number of ways, for example:
- from the information you provide to us when you interact with us before applying
- when you communicate with us by telephone, email or via our website, for example in order to make enquiries about events or activities
- from third parties, for example, from your previous or current school or sixth form college
Sharing your personal information
We will only share relevant items of your information where it is necessary to fulfil the lawful purposes listed above. Otherwise we will not share your personal data without your consent. Recipients of your personal data will include:
- Academic, professional services staff and Student Ambassadors employed by the University and involved in outreach and recruitment processes
- Higher Education Access Tracker (HEAT). HEAT is a not-for-profit monitoring and evaluation service that UWE Bristol subscribes to in order to benefit from a secure online platform which collects, analyses and researches data on event and activity participants. This service enables UWE Bristol to monitor and evaluate Widening Participation and Outreach programmes longitudinally. This means we are able to track attainment, progression, social mobility, graduate outcomes and eventual employment. It helps UWE Bristol to meet our statutory obligation to evidence effectiveness of such programmes to funders, education regulators such as (but not limited to) the Office for Students and central Government. HEAT Track enables tracking and linking of individual students through administrative data sets from the Department of Education, Skills Funding Agency and the Higher Education Statistics Agency, to explore in detail the relationship between outreach participation and student success. HEAT reporting includes profiling and more information on this is available on HEAT's website
- Third party software providers who may process your data on UWE’s behalf.
How long will we keep your information
Information you give us about;
- Your Access needs will be deleted 14 days after your event/activity.
- Your attendance at recruitment events will be retained for one year after the event.
- Your participation in Outreach Programmes will be kept for a maximum of 17 years for tracking purposes.
- For professional staff, we will delete your details two years after you gave us consent to communicate with you.
Your rights and choices
In respect of your personal data held by us, UWE Bristol is the data controller and you have the following qualified rights to:
- access it
- data portability
- receive it in a structured machine-readable format
- rectify it if it is not accurate or complete
- erase it, for example by removing your consent
- restrict its processing
- object to its processing
- object to automated decision making and profiling, and
- complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
To protect your privacy and the privacy of others, we will verify your identity before giving effect to your rights. To exercise any of your rights please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Changes to this privacy notice
Please check back occasionally for any changes to this Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice was updated on 1st October 2020.
How to contact us
For data protection queries, please write to the Data Protection Officer, UWE Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol, BS16 1QY, or email@example.com
For questions about this Enquirer’s policy, please contact:
Recruitment and Outreach
University of the West of England, Bristol
Tel: 0117 32 83333