External Partner Data Privacy Notice
Purpose of this Privacy Notice
This statement explains how the University of the West of England (UWE Bristol) collects, manages and uses your personal information. It also describes how you can change the way/s in which we use your personal information at any time.
Our promise to you
UWE Bristol values the relationships it holds with its external partners. How we use your personal information reflects the importance of this relationship to us. We will use your data to help us:
- Ensure we contact you in the most appropriate way.
- Improve our services.
- Ensure we work efficiently and effectively.
UWE Bristol will ensure your information is kept safe, accurate, up-to-date and that the information we hold is reasonable.
Who we are
UWE Bristol is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner Office (ICO) and is responsible under the General Data Protection Regulation as enacted, amended and applied in UK law for the personal data we hold. We process your personal data under the terms of our registration notice with the ICO and the University’s Data Protection Policy.
Within this statement UWE Bristol will be referred to as ‘we’.
The information we hold
Information from and about external partners is held in secure record databases approved by UWE Bristol IT Services. Most of the personal information we store and process has been given to us by you, but we may also occasionally obtain some information from other public sources, our students and graduates, university colleagues, web or email user journey data (see ‘How we collect information’ below). This may include:
- Name, title, gender, date of birth
- Contact details (addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, social media links)
- Your organisation and employment information including job title
- Information about your relationship with the University, including if you have advertised a role, attended an event or engaged with our services
- Your relationship/connection to other parts of UWE Bristol including faculties, students, staff and alumni
- Records of your engagement with our communications
- Records of communication received by the University from you
- Media articles
- Information on your engagement in University meetings, events, boards or networks
- Information on your engagement with Employability & Enterprise, Research, Business & Innovation, Bristol Business Engagement Centre and any other UWE Bristol service.
- Your preferences concerning how we contact you and for which purposes.
What we do with your information
We communicate with you and process your information in order to:
- Share University publications and news to keep you up-to-date
- Promote sponsorship opportunities as well as any opportunities to engage with funding or discounts on services
- Inform you about student and graduate recruitment opportunities
- Facilitate events, meetings, business development, engagement and networking opportunities
- Conduct surveys to improve our services
- Promote relevant services from across UWE Bristol to support your business including CPD courses, access to facilities on UWE Bristol campuses and student/graduate recruitment
- Collect case studies and quotes for marketing publications in order to inspire students, graduates and other employer partners
- Provide you with access to curriculum-based employability activities and faculty advisory boards
- Advertise your opportunities to our staff, students and graduates
We do this in pursuit of our legitimate interests, which do not override your interests, rights or freedoms.
We may communicate with you by:
- Social media and digital media advertising
How we collect information
We seek to communicate with our external partners in the most relevant way for each individual. We want to better understand who you are and what type of communication is most appropriate for you. With this is mind, we may supplement the information we’ve collected from you or your contact record with personal information from:
- Other faculties and services at UWE Bristol
- Public sources such as Companies House, company websites, biographies on professional networking sites and reputable newspaper articles
- Labour market tools, subscription databases and UWE Bristol Library resources
- UWE Bristol’s Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education Survey
We work with trusted third-party partners to facilitate some of this work. Where this is the case, we will always ensure appropriate security and contractual data processing agreements are in place.
Your personal information may be transferred by us or our third-party data processors out of the European Economic Area (EEA). We will always ensure that such transfers will be safeguarded by appropriate transfer mechanisms including the terms of standard data protection clauses adopted by the European Commission. Any queries regarding specific transfers should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also use publically available information to carry out due diligence on external partners in line with the University’s Terms and Conditions to ensure we are engaging legitimate external partners with our students, graduates and staff. You can opt out of any of the above if you prefer. More information on how you can manage your preferences can be found in the section ‘Your rights and choices’ below.
How we keep your information safe
Your records are stored on a secure database and access is restricted to those whoneed the information in order to carry out their duties at UWE Bristol. We may occasionally share your information with other university departments in order to tell you about activities we think will interest you (e.g. business networking and recruitment events).
Any information transferred in the pursuit of our legitimate interests and/or legal obligations listed above, internally or externally, is done so in accordance with the most current data protection legislation to ensure your personal data remains protected. UWE Bristol assumes full responsibility for the protection of your data and will not disclose it to third parties other than those acting as agents for the University. UWE Bristol will not trade your data with any other organisations.
You can contact us for further information about our security arrangements.
How we keep your information accurate and up-to-date
We see engaging with the University and being part of this external partnership work as an important relationship, which must remain relevant, mutually beneficial and up to date. This means that generally we aim to retain external partner personal information for no longer than is necessary. We will periodically review and remove redundant data, for example where there has been no interaction with you for an extended period.
If you decide that you no longer wish to receive communication from the University please be aware that we still need to retain a minimal amount of personal information so that we can keep a record that you have asked us not to contact you.
If we lose contact with you, we may seek new contact details to ensure that we can keep you informed about activities and opportunities with the University. We do this through trusted third parties. This information is sourced from publicly available information or from data held within UWE Bristol or from subscription data. You can email us to opt-out of this service at any time.
Your rights and choices
We will always respect a request to stop contacting you by any or all methods of communication or for any specific purpose listed above. You can request this by emailing at any time. Alternatively, you can unsubscribe from our emails through the “unsubscribe” option provided at the bottom of our outgoing emails. We will record this to ensure you are no longer contacted by the mean(s) specified by you.
In relation to your personal data we hold, you have the qualified rights to:
- Access it
- Receive it in a structured machine-readable format (data portability)
- Rectify it, if it is not accurate or complete
- Erase it
- Restrict its processing
- Withdraw any consent provided or otherwise object to its processing
- Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) If you wish to exercise these rights, please contact the University’s Data Protection Officer, at email@example.com.
If you are unhappy with the way in which your personal data has been processed you may complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office, further information can be found on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.
Any breach of the Data Protection Act or the General Data Protection Regulation by the University will be reported to the University’s Data Protection Officer in accordance with UWE Bristol’s Data Protection Policy.
From time to time, we may use your information for purposes not currently described in this Privacy Notice. If our data processes change in the future, we will publish those changes here.
This Privacy Notice was last updated in September 2018.
Bristol Business Engagement Centre
ILM (Institute of Leadership and Management) Centre for Professional Development
External Relations Development Team
Employability & Enterprise engagement for Students and Graduates
Research, Business & Innovation
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships, Consultancy, Funding and Research