Student Recruitment Events Privacy Notice
This privacy notice explains how the University of the West of England, Bristol (UWE Bristol) collects, manages, and uses your personal data for the purpose of facilitating your attendance to student recruitment events. ‘Personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (the data subject).
This privacy notice adheres to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) principle of transparency. This means it gives information about:
- how and why your data will be used
- what your rights are under GDPR
- how to contact UWE Bristol in relation to questions, concerns or exercising your rights regarding the use of your personal data.
Why are we processing your personal data?
UWE Bristol provides a range of student recruitment events for enquirers and applicants to support their progression to higher education. These events are led by the Recruitment and Admissions team and aim to support and inform decision making for university and course choice.
As a data controller we are committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal data in accordance with the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), the Data Protection Act 2018 (or any successor legislation) and any other legislation directly relating to privacy laws that apply (together “the Data Protection Legislation”). General information on Data Protection law is available from the Information Commissioner’s Office.
How do we use your personal data?
The University processes your personal data to plan, deliver and monitor attendance at our student recruitment events. This includes:
- to deliver the event and provide you with the best visitor experience.
- if any access needs are shared with us, we might communicate with you prior to an event to make sure that your access needs will be met.
- making sure that you have the most up-to-date and accurate information about the event that you have registered to attend.
- we will send you follow up communication after your event which may include surveys and information relevant to the next stage of your application for higher education.
- to track and evaluate the success of the event/ activity and to assist in future planning.
We will only process your personal data when the law allows us to. In addition, we will always comply with UWE Bristol’s policies and procedures in processing your personal data. Our lawful basis for using your personal data in many cases fall under public task. We may also rely on other law bases (either instead of or in addition to public task). This includes:
- Contract: this applies when we collect your data for contractual purposes with the university, or because there are certain steps required before entering a contract.
- Legal obligation: this applies where we need to use your personal data to comply with one of our legal obligations.
- Vital interests: occasionally, we may need to use personal data to protect your vital interests or somebody else's (vital interests). This usually only applies if we need to use personal data in an emergency, for example, a "life and death" situation.
- Legitimate interests: where necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests or someone else's legitimate interest where such legitimate interests do not infringe your own rights and freedoms.
- We may rely on your Consent in some circumstances, and we will be very clear with you when we are seeking your consent. Where we rely only on your consent to process your personal data, you may withdraw your consent at any time.
We do not intend on processing special category data as a routine activity. Should there be a requirement to do so, we will ensure a lawful basis is identified. Special category data may include information you provide to facilitate your attendance such as important heath data associated with any accessibility requirements.
You can find out more information about lawful bases on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
We will always tell you about the information we wish to collect from you and how we will use it. We will not use your personal data for automated decision making about you or for profiling purposes.
What data do we collect?
We collect and process personal data from visitors who enquire and participate in our events. This includes your full name, date of birth, home postcode, email address, mobile phone (optional), intended year of entry, intended subject area/course, mode of transport to the event, number of guests, and accessibility requirements.
If you are attending a university building, we will use CCTV, Body Worn Video, and Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) for the prevention and detection of crime, to ensure the security, safety and wellbeing of our students, staff, and other campus users.
Who do we share your data with?
We will only share relevant items of your information where it is necessary to fulfil the lawful purposes listed above. Otherwise, we will not share your personal data without your consent.
Recipients of your personal data may include professional services staff and academic staff employed by the University and who are involved in planning and delivering the event, and any third-party organisation who may process your personal data on behalf of the University.
In limited circumstance we may share information with the police or other bodies with law enforcement purposes if there is a lawful requirement to do so, and health professionals in emergency situations.
How do we keep your data secure?
We take a robust approach to protecting your information with secure electronic and physical storage areas for data with controlled access. Access to your personal data is strictly controlled on a need-to-know basis and data is stored and transmitted securely using methods such as encryption and access controls for physical records where appropriate.
Alongside these technical measures there are comprehensive and effective policies and processes in place to ensure that those who process your personal information are aware of their obligations and responsibilities for the data they have access to.
By default, people are only granted access to the information they require to perform their duties. Mandatory data protection and information security training is provided to staff and expert advice available if needed.
How long do we keep your data for?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as we need it to carry out the purposes in this notice.
Please see our University Records Management Policy and Records Retention Schedules for more detailed information. These are available by contacting our Data Protection Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your rights and how to exercise them
Under the Data Protection legislation, you have the following qualified rights:
- The right to access your personal data held by or on behalf of the University
- The right to rectification if the information is inaccurate or incomplete
- The right to restrict processing and/or erasure of your personal data
- The right to data portability
- The right to object to processing
- The right to object to automated decision making and profiling
- The right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
To protect your privacy and the privacy of others, we will verify your identity before giving effect to your rights. To exercise any of your rights please contact the Data Protection Officer.
If you are attending a university building, please also view the Accident Reporting Privacy Notice.
We will always respond to concerns or queries you may have. If you wish to exercise your rights or have any other general data protection queries, please contact UWE Bristol’s Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
For further information in relation to Student Recruitment Events please contact:
Student Recruitment Events Team
University of the West of England, Bristol
This privacy notice was last updated on 19 January 2024.