View key dates, information, documentation and contact support for this programme.
Documentation is regularly updated throughout the year so please use the documents below rather than the hard copies in student folders that may be out of date.
The fully completed pdf copy of the Common Placement Assessment Form (CPAF) should be emailed by the educator to the student by the last day of placement following their final appraisal. Students are required to submit them electronically via the UWE student intranet (Blackboard) by the specified deadline.
If the educator is not able to add their electronic signature to the CPAF for any reason, a copy should be emailed to Kate at email@example.com by the educator as verification.
It is advisable for both the educator and the student to keep a copy for their records.
Absence reporting whilst on placement
If a student is unable to attend their placement as planned, they should call the Absence Reporting Line on +44 (0)117 32 83283 and leave a message. The call will not be returned but the absence will be noted. Students should also contact their practice educator to advise them of absence in a manner appropriate for the particular placement.
For further support, or to report other issues whilst on placement, students should contact the confidential practice support line on +44 (0)117 32 81152 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
First years (level 4) observation placement (three days)
- Observation placement outline (PDF)
- Observation placement workbook - acute (DOC)
- Observation placement workbook - non acute (DOC)
Assessment (for all main placements)
- using the new Common Placement Assessment Form (CPAF) – all CPAFs and information on CSP website
- Summary of CPAF Learning Outcomes (PDF)
- CPAF Marking Quick Guide (PDF)
- Clinical patterns sheet (DOC)
- First years use Level 4 CPAF; Second years use Level 5 CPAF; Third years use Level 6 CPAF
- Pass mark is 40% for all placements for the UWE Bristol BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy programme
- Always tick ‘Graded’ not ‘Pass/Fail’ on page 1 for all placements, even though some do not contribute towards the degree classification.
Please check with the UWE placement team/coordinators regarding correct assessment paperwork.
- Programme specification for cohort 2020 only (PDF)
- Programme specification for cohorts 2021 and 2022 (PDF)
Practice Educator training sessions
- Practice educator training session dates and booking form 2022/23 (DOC)
- Recommended development pathway for practice educators (DOC)
Grading in Practice Quiz
The Grading In Practice Quiz has been created to ensure that practice educators are aware of how to support and assess students on physiotherapy placements, and forms part of our quality assurance processes. Successful completion by practice educators is required because some of the placements undertaken by students count towards their overall degree classification, and we wish to ensure that practice educators are consistent in how they provide feedback and mark students they support. Its completion is compulsory for practice educators supporting students on their 2b, 3a, or 3b placement, although it is useful for all practice educators to do.
Practice educator virtual drop-in sessions
The sessions are for educators to access if they have any last-minute questions or need support ahead of the next placement if they are supporting students. Each session lasts 30 minutes. No booking is required, and can be accessed via the links below.
Placement 3a starting 12 September 2022
Thursday 25 August 2022 at 13:30: Click here to join the meeting
Tuesday 6 September 2022 at 09:30: Click here to join the meeting
Placement 2a starting 7 November 2022
Wednesday 26 October 2022 at 13:30: Click here to join the meeting
Thursday 3 November 2022 at 09:30: Click here to join the meeting
Placement 3b starting 9 January 2023
Tuesday 20 December 2022 at 13:30: Click here to join the meeting
Thursday 5 January 2023 at 09:30: Click here to join the meeting
Placement 2b starting 9 May 2023
Thursday 27 April 2023 at 13:30: Click here to join the meeting
Wednesday 3 May 2023 at 09:30: Click here to join the meeting
Placement 1 starting 19 June 2023
Tuesday 6 June 2023 at 09:30: Click here to join the meeting
Wednesday 14 June 2023 at 13:30: Click here to join the meeting
For all enquiries about educator training sessions, please email HSCPracticeSupport@uwe.ac.uk
Also see information about the Practice Learning and Student Support professional course and find out more about supporting, supervising and assessing students in practice.
Additional information for supporting students
- Ramadan factsheet (DOC)
- Reflective practice:
- Peer review and feedback examples (optional):
The following additional resources are available on the CSP website:
- Clinical education placement guidelines (2003)
- Supporting students on placement with a disability
- Insurance cover for students on placement
- Students in a community placement and lone working
- Code of Conduct for Chartered Physiotherapists
- Guidance on Health and Good Character
- Guidance on Conduct and Ethics
- Information, support and guidance on Practice Education
Physiotherapy placement dates for all cohorts.
All placements can be in any speciality or setting despite being linked to a specific academic module.
Dates for re-sit/delayed placements are subject to availability (e.g. a similar speciality), so dates can only be confirmed nearer the time and may not be during the period stated.
Academic year 2022/23
- Monday 12 September to Friday 21 October 2022: Placement 3a (third year/cohort 2020)
- Monday 7 November to Friday 16 December 2022: Placement 2a (second year/cohort 2021)
- Monday 9 January to Friday 17 February 2023: Placement 3b (third year/cohort 2020)
- Tuesday 28 February to Thursday 2 March 2023: Observation days (first year/cohort 2022)
- Monday 8 May to Friday 16 June 2023: Placement 2b (second year/cohort 2021)
- Monday 19 June to Friday 21 July 2023: Placement 1 (first year/cohort 2022)
- Trailing placements (delayed or resits, three to five weeks depending on situation): Anytime from June to mid-September 2023, with third years prioritised where possible.
Academic year 2023/24
- Monday 11 September to Friday 20 October 2023: Placement 3a (third year/cohort 2021)
- Monday 6 November to Friday 15 December 2023: Placement 2a (second year/cohort 2022)
- Monday 8 January to Friday 16 February 2024: Placement 3b (third year/cohort 2021)
- Tuesday 27 February to Thursday 1 March 2024: Observation days (first year/cohort 2023)
- Monday 6 May to Friday 14 June 2024: Placement 2b (second year/cohort 2022)
- Monday 17 June to Friday 19 July 2024: Placement 1 (first year/cohort 2023).
- Trailing placements (delayed or resits, three to five weeks depending on situation): Anytime from June to mid-September 2024, with third years prioritised where possible.
If you have any queries or questions about the Physiotherapy programme or require support, please contact a member of the programme team.
Kate Stancombe, Robyn Osborne, Amy Belisario
- Team Email: email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 8862
- Email: Helen.Sommerville@uwe.ac.uk
- Tel: +44 (0)117 3282562
Supervision and assessment
Find out more about supporting, supervising and assessing students in practice.
You may also be interested in
Professional practice support contacts
Key contacts for professional practice placements at UWE Bristol.
Health professional development
Explore our range of professional short courses in health. Find out about funded opportunities, industry-specific courses and bespoke training.