Assessment of the UK local authority’s air quality review and assessment procedure for the UK government
- Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
- Welsh Government; Scottish Government
- Greater London Authority
- Department of Environment, Northern Ireland
Collaborator: Air Quality Consultants Ltd
AQMRC supported Defra and the Devolved Administrations in the delivery of the Review and Assessment process for over a decade. The support provided to the UK Government and UK local authorities included:
- Contribution to the development of the UK Technical Guidance and Policy Guidance since the inception of Local Air Quality Management (LAQM).
- The evaluation of numerous technical and process aspects of the LAQM process in the UK, the outcomes of which fed directly into the 2003 and 2008/9 updates of official guidance and the In-House Policy Unit’s Review of LAQM.
- Provision of technical and policy support to local authorities through the provision of a helpdesk service.
- Official appraisal of all UK Local Authority Review and Assessment Reports submitted from 1999-2010 on behalf of the UK Government for sound science and adherence to guidance which included extensive detailed air quality monitoring and dispersion modelling assessment.
- Development of clear and concise protocols for official feedback and conflict resolution.
- Provision of data for national reporting purposes, through the development and population of bespoke database, for example, Air Quality Management Area statistics.
- Support in answering UK Parliamentary Questions.
Please email Professor James Longhurst at James.Longhurst@uwe.ac.uk for more details.
You may also be interested in
UK research projects at AQMRC
The AQMRC UK projects cover a broad range of research areas and applications relating to air quality and carbon management.
An extensive overview of many of the major research and consultancy projects that AQMRC have led and contributed to, illustrating our capabilities and diverse interests.
About the Air Quality Management Resource Centre
Find out more about the Air Quality Management Resource Centre.