Appearance Matters 6
Conference held from 1 to 2 July 2014
The Appearance Matters Conference took place on 1-2 July 2014 at the Wills Memorial Building in Bristol, and was attended by a record 235 delegates, from countries around the world. Supporters this year included, The Dove Self-Esteem Project, Changing Faces and The National Institute of Aesthetic Research (NIAR).
Conference film 1
A short history of the Appearance Matters conference series.
Conference film 2
Key researchers in the area discuss the benefits of attending the Appearance Matters conference series.
The two day conference included two international keynote speakers, symposia sessions and a record number of oral and poster submissions compared to previous years.
As in previous years, the Appearance Matters series of conferences highlighted current research and good practice around psychosocial aspects of appearance-related issues including;
- visible difference
- provisions of appropriate care
- research methods and areas for further research
See the Appearance Matters 6 programme and abstracts (PDF) for further details of topics covered.
This year the conference organisers were delighted to welcome a graphic facilitator, Eleanor Beer, who produced 'real time' graphic recordings of the talks that took place in the Reception Room, which produced very positive feedback.
View the visual maps produced below:
- Professor Tracy Tylka's keynote address on 'Positive Body Image' and 'Appearance Matters in Breast Cancer'
- 'Body Image and Body Talk' and 'Perceptions and Constructions of Appearance and Embodiment'
- Professor David Sarwer's keynote address on 'Cosmetic Surgery and Psychological Screening' and 'Psychosocial Considerations in Plastic Surgery'
- 'Genital Body Image and Surgery in Men and Women' and 'Gender Roles and Expectations'
Conference keynote speakers included:
Professor David Sarwer
David B. Sarwer, PhD is Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry and Surgery at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania as well as Director of Clinical Services at the Center for Weight and Eating Disorders. His talk focused on the assessment and treatment of obesity.
Professor Tracy Tylka
Professor Tracy Tylka is a Professor at Ohio State University, USA. Professor Tylka's talk focused on body image and eating behaviour.
You may also be interested in
Appearance Matters Conference
Find out more about the Centre for Appearance Research's biennial Appearance Matters Conference.