Fitness to Study Policy principles
UWE Bristol is committed to supporting student wellbeing and has a variety of services to do so.
We recognise that there will be times when a student’s physical or mental health may mean that they pose a risk to themselves, to other students or to the activities of the University, and where risk management needs to be coordinated across the University. Those cases will be managed through the Fitness to Study Policy (PDF).
Principles of the Fitness to Study Policy
- Decisions under the policy focus on risk to the health, safety and wellbeing of the student or other students, or to the activities of the University. Academic performance alone is not sufficient reason for consideration.
- The policy will be used to coordinate relevant departments and services to manage risk.
- Outcomes under the policy will be supportive of the student wherever possible but there may be rare occasions when a student is suspended or expelled under the policy.
- Every effort will be made to manage cases in a way that is transparent, fair and collaborative.
When the policy applies
The policy is applicable:
- when a student’s behaviour is causing concern about risks to themselves or others
- where there are a number of worrisome third party reports regarding a student
- when a student’s mental or physical health is leading to behaviour that is adversely affecting the activities of the University.
Find out more
The Fitness to Study Policy is managed by the Student Casework Team in Student and Academic Services. Referrals may be made via email@example.com.
You may also be interested in
It's never too early to start planning for your career after graduation or find out how to improve your study skills. You can also find out how to provide feedback for us to use to make the student experience even better.
Advice on academic-related issues and what to do if something happens which affects your studies.
Student Support Advisers
Find out how the Student Support Advisers can help you, including the process for getting support.