About the Board of Governors
The Board makes senior staff (as defined by the Articles of Government (PDF)) appointments and sets the framework for the pay and conditions of all other staff. The Board has corporate responsibility for financial sustainability, risk assessment and management, and the policies relating to equality and diversity, health and safety, and corporate ethics.
The Board has adopted a Statement of Primary Responsibilities (PDF), as recommended by the Committee of University Chairs.
The Board of Governors delegates responsibility to a number of sub-committees: Finance Committee, Strategic Planning and Performance Committee, Audit Committee, Remuneration Committee and Nominations and Governance Committee.
Terms of reference
More specifically the Board of Governors are responsible for:
- the determination of the educational character and mission of the University and the oversight of its activities
- enabling the University to provide education, promote learning and engage in research and other scholarly activities efficiently and economically and for applying the principles of justice and fairness in the conduct of the University
- the effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the University and the Corporation and for safeguarding their assets
- approving annual estimates of income and expenditure
- the appointment, appraisal, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts
- setting a framework for the pay and conditions of all other staff
- enabling appropriate opportunities for students to raise matters of proper concern to the Board of Governors at all levels of the University
- the determination of rules with respect to the conduct of students, including procedures for suspension and expulsion, following consultation with Academic Board and representatives of the University’s students.
Minimum number of people that must be present to constitute a valid meeting (Quorum): seven, of whom at least four must be independent governors.
Frequency of meetings: four per year
For more information please email Deputy Clerk to the Governors: Chris Gledhill at email@example.com.